Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Goldens are very loyal. Until someone comes by with a treat. Or toy. Or pet. Or smile. Or just smells good. :p:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I suppose it depends on how you define loyal, but I say the collie wins hands down for loyalty. The collie is always there for you. Quietly, confidently. The golden is always there for you. And the neighbors.

But I will give Casper credit. When we are traveling, he makes sure we don't get separated. He refuses to budge or sleep if anyone goes out of sight. It's kind of cute watching him fall asleep while sitting and looking out the window of the trailer. Nod, jerk, sit up, nod, jerk, sit up. Then when we are finally all together, he collapses in exhaustion.

·
Kate
20,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The funny thing though is collies are family dogs. If you want a dog who forms a relationship with every single member of his family - that's the collie. You want a dog who forms that very close bond and devotion to his person - that the golden. ;)

I like entirely pets for supplements (cheapest place for glycoflex), but my goodness when I saw this list on facebook...!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Lol, the dog they used in the title bar that the child is hugging is a Golden. Right beside the "most loyal breeds" caption. By rights, you'd think that spot should be reserved for at least one of the top 3, right?? Lol, and no offence to any beagle parents out there, but they just wont stay with you outside unless they're leashed- my goldens search frantically for me if I step into the bushes for a private moment on a hike! I don't know if obsession = loyalty, but if it does...Goldens beat most of the competition!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,109 Posts
Goldens are very loyal. Until someone comes by with a treat. Or toy. Or pet. Or smile. Or just smells good. :p:
Lol! Yes, this. :D

Right now, I have one Golden who is a total velcro dog, and one who will happily go off with anyone that looks like they're up for a new adventure. But even my "loyal to everyone in the world" dog has shown that he can be extremely protective of his pack when a threat is perceived. So, I'd put Goldens up near the top, I think.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
This is one of those articles that only exists to drum up traffic. No source, no expertise, doesn't even get its facts straight. They just want you to link, click over, and view their ads.

·
Kate
20,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it served as much needed laugh for a lot of people. If nothing else. :)

Can anyone here think of their own list of "loyal" dogs - based on what they've seen at class or have owned/experienced? I'm just curious which dogs people would put up there?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I met a couple at an obedience trail (was watching) and they had 2 amazing Goldens. The guy had mentioned that Goldens aren't loyal until they're older, and they would just as well go home with me than them...lol. I don't know. I know Lucy would just as well leave with a stranger. I hope she gets a little more loyal as she gets a little older and we continue our training.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts