Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I have a 3 month old golden puppy. Was wondering if anyone knew of some accurate feeding charts to look off of. I’ve been looking online but seems like a lot of them are different. Just want to make sure I’m feeding her the correct amount. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
There are none. You need to look at your puppy daily feed less if it’s chubby feed more if it’s skinny. It’s not that complicated people worry too much about it.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I don't think there can be a definitive chart of how much food to feed a puppy because it will vary so much by brand and contents of the food. Many of us use the body condition chart as a guide and you want to keep your puppy on the lean side. My vet prefers a 4. With a growing puppy you will need to assess often and adjust the amount accordingly. With a fluffy puppy you need to feel for the ribs and look at them from the top when they are wet.

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
I also used my puppy's growth as a guide. If she suddenly looked too skinny, I'd increase the food. They all grow in different ways at different speeds - it's hard to have one hard and fast rule.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
It depends on the dog — activity level, metabolism, number of calories in the food…

My 2.5 year old Golden easily puts away a cup and a half of food (Purina Pro Plan Sport) twice a day, plus any treats I may offer up to him and weighs 66lbs. If he’s particularly active on a given day, I may give him a little more. If we are socked in due to weather or whatever and more inactive, maybe a little less.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I agree with the consensus....monitoring body condition is your best guide. The body condition chart is floating around here on the forum somewhere.....hopefully somebody can link you to it but the short version is you need to see a waist when viewing from the top, a visible tuck ahead of the rear legs and with minimal pressure you should be able to run your hands down her side and feel the ribs but not see them. That should give you a nice lean girl. There's probably not much harm in overfeeding slightly initially because she was likely underweight to start but try to get her to that point and maintain it by adjusting her food as needed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey everyone! I have a 3 month old golden puppy. Was wondering if anyone knew of some accurate feeding charts to look off of. I’ve been looking online but seems like a lot of them are different. Just want to make sure I’m feeding her the correct amount. Thank you!
Depends on activity level.Consult a body mass chart that shows the top view. You should be able to roll over your dogs ribs
Green Toy Nature Natural environment Dog breed
with little effort feeling each one under a slight amount of skin beveling inward just before the rear thigh. I also bought a dog scale for 80 bucks on Chewys which is helpful; we weigh her every Friday and stick to a growth chart. Don't look at the feeding charts on your dog food. consult your vet, they know your dog for appropriate food amounts. Good Luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts