Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts
Discussion starter · #42 ·
Today our baby boy is 10 weeks old, and earned the nickname Braveheart today. We have a pretty large back yard, and he's stayed pretty close to us. Today he found his independence and stalked some squirrels, stalked his brother, and otherwise just loved his back yard.

Noah is starting to really enjoy having a baby brother, and plays nicely with him. Moses is giving as good as he gets!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Oh, good boy, Noah! It looks like they are having so much fun together. I’m interested in knowing whether you find the land shark phase easier with an grown-up brother
to chew on?
I do think that it helps, as well as having LOTS of good toys for chewing. He also got his first bully stick last weekend, and that helps when he's sleepy, but fighting sleep. I hold him in my lap and he gnaws on that until he falls asleep for a nap.

I also use Robin's trick of saying NO! and hold his mouth shut gently and blow on his nose, and that does seem to work too. He's learned "No!" pretty quickly! He may think his name is Moses, No! hahaha!

But we also do a lot of Yes's too for good behavior.

We also have to remember, we got Noah at 6 week old, so he didn't have those important 2 weeks with his litter to learn bite inhibition.

We try to play one or two "It's Yer Choice" games daily, but have to limit how much, so we don't mess up his tummy. I found some great TINY treats at Petsmart, Nutro Mini Bites. We play the game and Noah drools (but he actually gets one treat for every one treat Moses gets too).

The cutest thing is that our yard has a slight hill going from the patio to the flat part of the yard. Noah is a ball fiend. So we throw the ball for Noah, Moses runs to the top of the hill and lays down in a lion stalking position, waits for Noah to return with the ball and races down beside him to snatch up the ball as soon as Noah drops it.

Noah is so patient waiting for him to drop it, and then me throw it again. But it's great for wearing out a puppy!

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Just wanted to let you know that I'm having a rough week at work and am watching your bitey face video on repeat to make me feel better. Thank you - keep them coming please - its the best kind of break :) I love how Moses is smiling throughout - what a happy little pup pup
I'm so sorry you're having a rough week! :(

I'm glad the boys' video has made you feel better though. They are a fun pair!

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Today we moved the "big boy" bed into Moses' xpen. It's been beside the bed, but Noah never uses it, so I guess it's technically a "hand me down"! :grin2:

In front of the bed is a snuffle mat that works that little nose and brain - sprinkle some treats or kibble in there, and let the nose take over. Wears out that busy brain.

I keep forgetting to take pictures in landscape. I even turned this photo 90 degrees on my computer, and it still orients this way.....sigh.....

Attachments

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Discussion starter · #53 ·
So - Moses had his first swim lesson today! The other dog in the pool is the owner's 10 month old wire haired border collie who she had participating to give Moses confidence. He did so good, even though he first stepped off the side of the ramp and went under - but Katy was there to grab him, and he was like "wow - what happened?" and shook it off and was bold and fearless.

Love this puppy!

Discussion starter · #55 ·
These first two weeks have flown by and tomorrow we're back to reality (work). My parents came down to visit from Wed through today. They love their new grandpup - "Little Moe" as they have dubbed him.

I've been calling him Moses, Mo-Mo, Stinkerdoodle (I emailed Robin today and said - tell the truth - he's not pure golden, he's part STINKER doodle, isn't he?).

He is such a joy and has doubled the light and laughter in our house, and Noah is being such a good big brother to his little brother. I can't believe how much this little guy has grown in two weeks.

My mother died laughing when he was in his Xpen and he lets out this huge howl (like howling at the moon). We were playing cards last night and he was in the Xpen - where he could see us playing, and every time he'd let out the howl, she'd start laughing. She finally caught it on video, I'll have to get it from her.

They came down to meet him, and to be my "responsible adult" for my first colonoscopy (fun, fun). That afternoon, we had to take their car to the dealership to look for a "rattle" they heard driving down, and Moses went with us. Friday, we took him to Tractor Supply and Home Depot, and Karl and I took him to Tractor Supply today to get him a new bed for his Xpen.

I caught a video of Noah and Moses playing today - enjoy! See how big he's gotten?

Oh his sister is quite the howler too! But she is not part stinkerdoodle.
She's super sweet and smart and has yet to have a potty accident in house or crate. The day I thought I would be gone for about 5 hours to pack Maxie up for her move, I was gone 10 hours and while Gimme (yes, that's her name) sure had to pee, she had not done it in the crate. I was shocked. She may be the easiest puppy to train I have ever had!

Discussion starter · #57 ·
Oh his sister is quite the howler too! But she is not part stinkerdoodle.
She's super sweet and smart and has yet to have a potty accident in house or crate. The day I thought I would be gone for about 5 hours to pack Maxie up for her move, I was gone 10 hours and while Gimme (yes, that's her name) sure had to pee, she had not done it in the crate. I was shocked. She may be the easiest puppy to train I have ever had!
Unfortunately - I can't make the same no potty accident claim with Moses - those "stinkerdoodle" boys who pee in bits. You think you get all the potties outside, three or four of them, come in to fix his next meal, and you look down and he's pee'ing again right beside you....sigh....

None in his crate though. And he doesn't really whine in his crate when he needs to go - you hear him shifting a lot in his crate, and know it's time to get up and run him out. :)

For the most part, he sleeps through the night too!

Robin - he's such a delightful boy! He doesn't stink (for the nickname - it's more that he's a little stinker - in a lovely way)!

41 - 60 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.