Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been meaning to post about this because it's such strange behavior yet I can't help but love it.

Every morning when we get up, Flora will ALWAYS pick out some random clothing item of mine, whether it be a sock, a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt, etc., and start wagging her tail like mad, making all of these ridiculously happy noises (whimpering, groaning), and will drag that clothing item around the upstairs. It's especially cute when it's a pair of jeans that's about 3 times as big as she is.

The behavior usually ends after 5 minutes or so, but it's so weird! Any doggie whisperers know what this is about? :bowl:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Same here...

Henry is particularly fond of socks. We are lucky that he doesn't ingest them! Don't know what it's about except that clothes have our scent on them and our pups connect to that.

·
"GO TARHEELS!!!"
772 Posts
Just sounds like attention seeking behavior to me. Mandy usually tries to find something to carry around first thing in the morning - just to get our attention.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just sounds like attention seeking behavior to me. Mandy usually tries to find something to carry around first thing in the morning - just to get our attention.
That's kind of what I figured. I'll pet her for about 20 seconds and then sort of ignore her afterwards because I don't want to encourage further attention seeking behavior. But darn it if it isn't cute!

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
yep,we have the same one every morning.They just happy.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Quinn usually grabs a toy first thing in the morning, and if he can't find one then out comes the vetbed from his bed.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Beau has always been like that and even more when we come home. Has to go grab something and put it in his mouth. And the sounds, I call it his muffled ROO ROO's.
As long as she isnt eating them, then I wouldnt worry about it.

Bama does the roo roo sound like that and bows at the same time.

·
Mom to Cannon
659 Posts
Cannon doesn't grab any clothes, but he does grab his nearest toy first thing in the morning and will start groaning, prancing around etc. in excitement :) I think he is just excited and wants attention! It is cute ;)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, how cute! Flora is still too small to do the "roo roo" noise, but I can imagine how adorable that is. :) Flora did it again when I came home today - I let her out of her crate and she immediately grabbed my mom's boot and toddled around the sunroom making little groaning noises.

Cannon sounds like such a sweetie. :) I love it when dogs bring you a toy because they're so excited to see you!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Sounds like she's just excited that you're FINALLY awake!! lol Sam is sooo impatient every morning for me to wake up.. and god forbid I open an eyelid... he's jumping around and making funny noises and just soooo happy that its "awake time"!!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
She's trying to show you how happy she is and how much she wants to play. She picks your clothes because they have your scent. Think of it as her way of showing you she's directing the behavior toward you (your smell).

One little suggestion: if you let her pick up clothes and use them as toys in this way, she may not distinguish well between toys and clothes when it comes to chewing. Just ask her to drop the jeans and give her an appropriate toy to parade around with, and she'll learn to go for those instead. It might help prevent things like sock swallowing later on too.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's trying to show you how happy she is and how much she wants to play. She picks your clothes because they have your scent. Think of it as her way of showing you she's directing the behavior toward you (your smell).

One little suggestion: if you let her pick up clothes and use them as toys in this way, she may not distinguish well between toys and clothes when it comes to chewing. Just ask her to drop the jeans and give her an appropriate toy to parade around with, and she'll learn to go for those instead. It might help prevent things like sock swallowing later on too.
Thanks for the advice. I guess I get a little lenient with her because at this point she's not really chewing on anything at all except her toys and bones, but I know very well that eventually she'll turn into a chewing monster. :) I'll make sure to keep my clothes out of her reach next time.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Every morning for the past 5 years.....Loocie will grab Sharon's sox at daybreak, do the centipede-roo dance plus Chewbacca vocalizations, all enhanced by the drum beat of her tail against the wall or bed. If we don't get up, she lies back down with a heavy sigh and the sox tucked securely under her chin...
It's such a wonderful morning sound....

But Tippy's right, and mine have never attempted to eat sox or any other article of clothing.

Please try to get a 'jeans' pic of her for us to awwww over:p:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Every morning for the past 5 years.....Loocie will grab Sharon's sox at daybreak, do the centipede-roo dance plus Chewbacca vocalizations, all enhanced by the drum beat of her tail against the wall or bed. If we don't get up, she lies back down with a heavy sigh and the sox tucked securely under her chin...
It's such a wonderful morning sound....

But Tippy's right, and mine have never attempted to eat sox or any other article of clothing.

Please try to get a 'jeans' pic of her for us to awwww over:p:
lol, the jeans are pretty ridiculous considering she's still pretty small.

And you're right - it is really sweet to see and hear that first thing in the morning. :)

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
How cute! Especially from a little puppers!

When I drive up getting home from work I can hear Sienna barking an excited bark. When I get to the door it changes to excited gurgling in different pitches LOL. Open the door you see her in her crate, kong in her mouth doing a michael jackson dance back and forth roo rooing.

When I let her out it's a mad dash for the back door, outside to the yard and dash around with frisky wiggles, prances, and play growls- kong still in her mouth (or whatever else she can grab!). I love it!

·
Now Fenway's Proud Mom!
230 Posts
Aww, very cute! Fenway doesn't drag clothes around, but every single morning on his way from the crate to the back door to go out and potty he picks up a toy to take outside with him. :)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How cute! Especially from a little puppers!

When I drive up getting home from work I can hear Sienna barking an excited bark. When I get to the door it changes to excited gurgling in different pitches LOL. Open the door you see her in her crate, kong in her mouth doing a michael jackson dance back and forth roo rooing.

When I let her out it's a mad dash for the back door, outside to the yard and dash around with frisky wiggles, prances, and play growls- kong still in her mouth (or whatever else she can grab!). I love it!
Haha, the gurgling noises sound like they're pretty goofy. :) How cute!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Its funny how the little goofy things they do just warm our hearts so much... every morning I wake up with Sam's face about an inch away from mine... I can just hear his brain waves going "are ya gonna get up now? are ya???" and his little excited face when he realizes I'm becoming conscious.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its funny how the little goofy things they do just warm our hearts so much... every morning I wake up with Sam's face about an inch away from mine... I can just hear his brain waves going "are ya gonna get up now? are ya???" and his little excited face when he realizes I'm becoming conscious.
That made me laugh. I can totally see a golden doing that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts