Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I checked the backyard and there were multiple 'pudding' piles. So they weren't false alarms. And we found vomit from during the night on the basement stairs.

Her gums look a little pale to me, temp is just under 101. So far she's kept her breakfast down; regular food plus some pumpkin.

Last night after her 10:00 walk (we didn't know what she wanted and thought maybe she'd been cooped up too much) she was leaping and jumping for joy...all 4 paws off the ground and then got some zoomies. So as of then, she wasn't as sick as she is now. Quiet, mopey. But still wanted to go to the barn when I went back to clean. I left her home.

Does this warrant a trip to the vet or should we just watch and monitor for 24 hours? I thought I'd make her boiled chicken and brown rice for supper and feed her 1 cup total. Or should it be less? Would it be okay to feed her Dogzymes with her dinner?

I would take her to the vet's but without a temp it doesn't sound like they would recommend anything more than supportive treatment.

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
If it were just diarrhea, I'd probably just wait.

But vomiting and diarrhea + lethargy - to me sounds like something I want seen by the vet.

If you decide to wait, you should not feed her anything today.

ETA - I see you fed her and she kept it down. Hmm... watch and see then?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Did you have another thread with additional symptoms?

I would think the vet might want you to withhold food for 24 hours, just to let the intestinal track rest. I would call the vet and see what they recommend.

Do you think she got into something?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I would watch her for today, keep taking her temp and see.
Didn't you have an appointment for her for recheck because of TPLO? Maybe you can ask that vet about it.
A bland diet might be okay to give. My vet usually says not giving anything for 36 hours to let the stomach rest and then start with a bland diet. I am not familiar with the doggyzymes, so I cannot comment on that.
I wish Penny a speedy recovery and that she feels better soon.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I had another thread when I thought he frequent trips outside were because of anal glands. It appears now that I was completely wrong about that because we found very soupy piles in the back yard. I have to say we've had tons of rain over night which may have distorted a soft stool.

She just had one that was very soft but somewhat formed.

We decided not to go to her vet appt today. We were so tired from being up all night and it's a 4 hour round trip. Plus weather is kind of bad.

I will check with her local vet and see what they recommend.
I didn't want to go there first because it seems like I run to the vets everytime she looks cross ways. I checked the pancreatitis symtoms and so far nothing like that.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Lethargy, diarrhea and vomiting is a trip to the vet for us, especially if gums are pale. There is a test our vet taught us for dehydration that involves pinching the lip area where it is pink to see if it refreshes quickly and also pinching the cheeks on the muzzle and seeing if it plumps back up right away. if it does not do for either test, she is dehydrated and she needs to be seen, possibly put on IV fluids and antibiotics. Barkley scared us like this twice in his life and both times it was a very serious situation.

I hope she feels better soon. I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just catching up and maybe she ate some horse poop at the barn or something? It sounds like you have it under control as long as she is still drinking and not getting dehydrated... I hope it goes better today and her tummy feels better by tomorrow, please give it a rub for me and let us know! K

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
I just saw this and wanted to tell you I'll say a prayer for Penny. If it were me I would take her to see the vet. If it were just loose stools and she was acting fine I would think you could wait to see if it passed but with her acting funny I would be worried. I hope she gets better soon.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called the vet. She requested a stool sample...had just picked one up. ;)

And she prescribed an anti-diarheal...metronidazole 500 mg tabs. 2 to start then 1 tab 3 x a day until gone. 4 days worth. Feed as usual. I think I'll continue to add the pumpkin. Yes?

She also sent home some enzymes. I'm going to compare them to Dogzymes and if they're the same, she said I could return them.

So, I feel better. Thank you all so much for being so supportive.:smooch::smooch:

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
The flagyl alone should help a lot. Especially since you are going to be giving her a boatload! :)

Our collie just gets 1 pill twice a day when he's having a bad stomach day.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I hope the flagyl helps her soon. Any idea of what caused this episode?

I'm sorry you had to postpone the check up. I was looking forward to a good report about her healing.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We don't know for sure. It started within 12 hours of my giving her some bits of steak...maybe 6 bites. It wasn't fat, it was tough, grisely meat. I'm suspect since that's the only change.

She's been sleeping since she got the Flagyl, about 2:00. Poor girl didn't get much sleep last night either. She ate her supper well and drank well. She's subdued, kind of like that first day when the flu is over. But not lethargic.

I was disappointed too about the vet visit. We cancelled because it was such a drive and Penny's Dad had been walking her @ 2 a.m. It was foggy and rainy when we were supposed to leave. As it turns out, it was a good thing I rescheduled (next Tues @ noon) because that trip would have been way to much for her...a disaster with poop in the car, I'm sure.

I think we will have a much quieter night. She's laying at Penny's Dad's feet. :smooch:

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Glad she seems to be doing a bit better. Hoping she will improve on the meds!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Penny had a quiet afternoon and night. I think she was exhausted. No poo yet but she's out there barking at her nemisis, Greta who is allowed to wander the neighborhood. Penny absolutely hates her and will go into a barking frenzy at the mere mention of her name, even in the house.

Things are looking up, I think.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I'm glad to hear that she's heading in the right direction. Now maybe you can both get some sleep!
BTW, if I gave Tito 6 bites of steak, especially gristly, he'd be sick for 2-3 days. He's sensitive to things like that.

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
Poor Penny. Glad to hear the episode seems to be over. So frustrating not to know what caused it. Probably just a little bug she picked up from who knows where. In any event, hope you had a quiet night and that she'll be back at it soon!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Glad she is acting more like herself.

I hate the game of trying to figure out should we go to vets or not, is it my imagination or not, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts