Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...

I read the thread below and think there is tons of wonderful advice about potty training that I am following. I had a more specific question and wanted to get some feedback.

Fletcher is 12 weeks old today and training is going generally well. We're working on the mouthy-ness and the jumping and I think obedience-wise he is a typical golden puppy. After some long nights of barking and 4 am walks, he even absolutely loves his crate--sleeps through the night and never has accidents there.

But, after 4 weeks at home we are still having a couple accidents a day in the house. We don't have a fenced yard, so Fletcher will always have to let us know when he needs to be taken out. How can I foster this particular skill? As of now, if I take him out every two to three hours (and after drinking/playing/napping) he is fine, but he doesn't seem to be developing a "sign" that he needs to potty.

Will this eventually come naturally and is it fairly normal for him to be still having accidents at this age???

Thanks in advance all!
I am a first time dog owner and I want him to be happy and healthy!
Jen

·
Registered
414 Posts
He is 12 weeks and the accidents are mostly just pee? That sounds normal enough. I think Clancy stopped having accidents in the house around 12 - 14 weeks, and I've been told by some that I was lucky.

I know of people who have trained there Goldens to ring a bell everytime they need to go out. I could look for that information if you like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much timberwolfe...

I should have said that, yes, Fletcher's accidents are always of the pee variety. I've often heard that between the 12th and 14th weeks is when puppies just start getting it, so hopefully things will continue to improve.

As for ringing the bell, that would be so amazing and maybe a fun training exercise. I'd settle for him going to sit by the door or looking at me longingly! :) If you do ever find any articles on the subject, I'd love to read them.

Thanks again,
Jen

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It's funny how the dogs develop their own way to let us know when they need to go out. Mojo comes and sits by me, leans into my side and stares up at me. Zoe (the terror - oops- I meant terrier mix) will start to pace back and forth. If we ignore her she sits in front of us, throws back her head and howls. Cracks us up every time. Roxy (RIP) used to climb up on me. Roxy was a rotti/hound mix so she was no lightweight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I adopted/rescued my two senior goldens (Montana age 7 and Bear age 8) neither ever lived in a house! :( So neither were potty trained. They both never barked either so I trained them to ring the bells I hung on the door knob of the door they were to use to go out. I started by ringing it for them with their paw (only when I would take them out to potty, if we went out to play I would not ring it) it didn't take long before they got it and started to ring it on their own ;) I use to feel so bad seeing them waiting at the door looking for anyone to let them out, now we hear them without them barking! Some of my other goldens also picked up on this from the seniors, without me training them! Goldens are such smart dogs, eager to please! :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
At only 12 weeks your pup is still a baby! He will gradually get the idea. I found that with Millie and Daisy constant vigilence was the answer. The minute one of the looked restless, or woke up we took them out side then lots of fuss when they obliged! I thinkour neighbours thaught wewere nuts!
The first sign of figetting and out they went. Dont get cross with him if he has an accident, he'll just think your cross about the pee, not about where he's done it , so he may hide next time and go out of sight.
Good luck,Sarah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts