Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Zeli (10 yr old golden) has recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.. she was drinking lots of water and peeing a lot... soooo we get her on the med and check her a month later and yah, the med is doing it's thing. However, the doc says watch her for panting too much. Now I don't know about you guys, but i never paid attention before.... I think she always panted.

So I call back and we cut the med in half. She looks good, acts good, has stopped drinking bowls of water but she still pants..... not tongue hangin out of her mouth but she pants.... I am not taking her back to the doc again for awhile. She is acting really good....

don't retrievers pant in general? yah, it's worse when the outside temps go up.
Any advice?

Renie

·
Registered
136 Posts
Our Golden, Chester, has breathed heavily ever since his hypothyroidism came up. I read somewhere that this condition can affect the larynx, its opening and closing. I had the vet checked his throat (his larynx) and he did say Chester has a mild case of laryngeal paralysis. So, when the summer heat comes, I have his coat shaved to help keep him cool. It does really help.

Cheryl

·
3 goldens
12,151 Posts
Buck is on 1 1/2 .8mg of soloxine twice a day. Had been on one twice a day til his check up a couple of weeks ago and his thyroid was borderline low, so was increased. I take him back in 90 days for another test.

·
Reyna 1997 to 2004
2,720 Posts
Jenna gets one tablet a day, and she's 60 pounds so that's probably consistent. Maybe a little higher. I was told it takes a full 90 days to measure the dosage effectiveness.

·
3 goldens
12,151 Posts
When Buck started on them, I had to take him back 30 days later for check, and then again 90 days after that. Now with the upped dosage, he goes in 90s from the start of the 1 1/2 pills twice a day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts