Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Alyssa
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Last night our 7 month old puppy began to hold her eyes shut and wouldn’t open them. When I would open them she kept them rolled back so I couldn’t see the surface and if there was anything wrong with them. She went like an hour or so and then started opening them normally after giving her a Benadryl, but today she was back to holding them shut. She has had swelling around her eyes before from some kind of reaction, so that is why we thought it might be allergies again, although this time they’re not swollen like before.

We took her to the vet today and frustratingly they couldn’t give us any answers, just “maybe it’s this or this” and to “just keep an eye on it”. She has naturally slightly droopy lower eyelids so maybe that’s a factor, or maybe she could have conjunctivitis, I don’t know. None of those possibilities were mentioned by the vet. They didn’t think it was an infection and didn’t give us any kind of eye drops. They also didn’t think it was a scratch or ulcer because it’s affecting both eyes, which would be rare. I wish I could get a different vet but nowhere around us is taking new clients because of Covid.

She is obviously in discomfort and is still going back and forth between holding them closed and sort of opening them. You can kind of see her third eyelid coming up (I think??) when she opens them. I attached some pictures. Has anyone had a similar looking issue? I’m just trying to think of what to do next to help her. If it’s allergies, is there anything to prevent this? She must be in pain. :(

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
also (and maybe I assumed so may be wrong) dosage on benadryl is 1 mg/pound and twice that in emergency so if you actually gave only one, you might not see any results. Agree you should see nearest ophthalmologist asap. www.acvo.org for listing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.