Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
They're cute...but please read these articles so you start off on the right foot. These are just a few I found, there are a ton more. Good luck with them.

Adopting Littermates… (Don’t)

Littermate Syndrome: The risky downside to raising sibling puppies | Jeff Stallings, CPDT-KA

Raising Siblings

Raising and Training Littermates
Thank you for the links. We did extensive research for months, before we took the plunge and got littermates. We know the risks, and have taken a lot of precautions to prevent them. They are crated in seperate places in the house, though for now I have one big crate in my bedroom that I put them in while I shower in the mornings. They play together and alone. We walk them seperately, spending a good amount of time outside with each. I have been working on some commands with them. Once they their shots, we will begin taking them out seperately. Allowing them to socialize, meet other people and other dogs. Taking them to the dog park, while the other stays at home. Then maybe taking the other to tractor supply. Vice Versa.

I plan to use this thread to document all of that. Our mistakes and how we fix those, what we learn from all of this, and most importantly, our beautiful puppies!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My BIL had 2 dogs (male/female) from the same litter. He got them through a rescue, and didn't know the risks. He was upset that the rescue encouraged them to take both, in hindsight. His dogs did exhibit aggression from a young age (these are not GRs, FWIW).

However, they did extensive training and management, and now the dogs are settled in just fine.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My BIL had 2 dogs (male/female) from the same litter. He got them through a rescue, and didn't know the risks. He was upset that the rescue encouraged them to take both, in hindsight. His dogs did exhibit aggression from a young age (these are not GRs, FWIW).

However, they did extensive training and management, and now the dogs are settled in just fine.
Thanks for this!

We have done a LOT of research about all the possible outcomes of this. Golden's temperments, plus our training plan, home plan, etc.. We just decided this was a good option for us.

Once they are old enough, we plan on taking them to doggy daycare one day a week each to get some socialization with dogs. Moose will be going on Monday and Goose will be going on Wednesday. This is something that I really think will help them develop their own personality, and is a big part of our 1 year plan.

We also plan to go to seperate training classes with them, and also have private training classes with them both, teaching them to pay attention to us.

We feel like we are really taking serious precautions for raising them together, but having individual dogs that are independent of one another.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Moose and Goose

Moose and Goose are just adorable!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I just got an E-mail about this thread. Sorry I haven't been on in awhile, we have been in the process of moving from off post to on post, and its been quite the headache.

I'll post more pictures as soon as I can!

They are growing like little weeds. 13 weeks old now. Moose weighs 17.12 and Goose weighs 15.14. They are beginning to get in their adult hair, and have a line of it down their backs, surrounded by the fluffy puppy hair on the rest of their body. It's pretty cute.

They have learned quite a bit in their short time with us, and I can't imagine life without them now.

We have maintained the schedule of sleeping in separate rooms, eating in separate rooms, and going to daycare on different days. They have done really well, and our vet and trainer things they are getting a very good foundation. We will continue this until they are around 9 months. We will then take some of those precautions away, but they will still eat and sleep seperately.

I'll post pics as soon as I can! :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Goose Smiling: This started when she was younger. She would always curl her lip after eating and I would tell her "Pretty Smile" or "aren't you smiling so prettY". So a couple weeks ago I went to take this picture and said "Smile pretty for the camera!"... She curled her lip on command!

They LOVE to go riding. On the weekends we take them to the lake or the dog park on post.

My sweet Goose, last night at almost 18weeks: Her legs look weird because she had just plopped down with a ball before I took this.. I traded the ball for a treat so I could get a good picture. ;)

I don't have a picture of Moose alone from last night. DH took him to his puppy kinder class.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,993 Posts
Great pictures, they are sooooooooo adorable. This happens to be my favorite age/stage when they are lanky. I think they're just too cute at this age.

Adorable pic of Goose smiling, my girl smiles a lot.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Moose and Goose had a great weekend. We had a cookout, and they enjoyed every minute of it. They were SO good, and played with their toys. They didn't harrass people for attention, but did walk to them if they were called for it. I was SO proud of them.

It wore them out, too. They both slept SO good from about 8PM yesterday until 6AM this morning.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Updated Pictures! They are now 5 months and a week. I have been thinking their birthday was something wrong all this time. I was getting it confused with my nephew's birthday. :uhoh: After looking at their papers, Their birthday was January 23rd!

Moose:

Goose:
She was staring down a butterfly. She is such an observer, compared to Moose.

They went to the groomer for the first time! Had a hydromassaging bath, and had a blow out! The groomer said they did wonderful!

I finally figured out what their high value treat/chew is. They will sit perfectly still, and do almost anything I ask of them for a roasted pig snout! We get them from the hollistic store here, and they go crazy for them! I also like that they last a week or more compared to a bully stick that only lasts a day or two.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts