Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I own Sybil and yes she has all of her necessary OFA clearances plus DNA tested for genetics. Yes she had prelims for hips/elbows which indeed came back 'Excellent'. No one thought for a minute that I may have done her finals via PennHip?

Please reach out and would love to answer any questions! :)
I don't think it ever occurs to me that someone must have done finals by PH after 24 months. ESPECIALLY if I see OFA prelims which were not posted ever on OFA for that bitch. But if you did do them it is an easy thing to have the DI numbers posted on OFA ( because PH has no database). If your desire is to conform to the Code of Ethics, actually posting them to OFA is the part that's not being adhered to without sending the PH to OFA.
Congrats on the EX prelim. But Ph does not do elbows- and as of today I still don't see an elbow clearance on OFA on her record.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
this am looking at the OFA page, and it appears her dam lacks elbows (which is indicative of a fail) and the grandsire on maternal side also appears to have failed elbows.
Since Sybil does not have OFA elbows and OFA is the only one who does elbows, no, she does not have all her neccesary etc.
I own Sybil and yes she has all of her necessary OFA clearances plus DNA tested for genetics. Yes she had prelims for hips/elbows which indeed came back 'Excellent'. No one thought for a minute that I may have done her finals via PennHip?

Please reach out and would love to answer any questions! :)

·
Puddles
3,330 Posts
At what age do they get tested? Just wondering why they would only have prelims. Once they are tested are all results posted? If there were poor results could they choose not to have that show up? Although I have goldens now, one is a rescue and we did not check the health records for the parents of the other one. This is new to me. I appreciate your help.
Final clearances for hips & elbows are done once... at 24 months or older and vet will submit to OFA for posting. If they do Penn Hip the breeder needs to send the results to OFA but PH does not do elbows.
Heart is done once after 15 months by a cardiologist and eyes should be done yearly. Heart & eyes are sent in by the breeder. The cost to post to OFA is minimal and no reason not to do so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My mom had a dog from Moonlit Golden’s from pebbles (mother) he died this year at 6 from a cardiac hemangiosarcoma. He had elbow dysplasia and hypothyroidism prior to this. My husband and I have a dog from a different mother same father who has eye cysts and is on preventative drops to prevent blindness. Our dogs have/had amazing temperaments and we love them very much but would not purchase another dog from Moonlit Golden’s. Loosing our dog suddenly from a hemangiosarcoma was devastating on top of the other genetically linked diseases he had.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts