Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got back from visiting my Mom and family down in Los Angeles. She has a Golden who she rescued from the pound (who my DH and I think might be a mix?) who, more often than not, turns it's head away from you when you are interacting with it. She will come up to you, tail wagging, for a pet, but doesn't look you in the face for long. She is friendly, but also has a mind of her own... can seem somewhat aloof and then she comes up tail wagging- just seems odd... maybe just because it's the complete utter opposite of Miss Sienna??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
It's a calming signal and a polite approach. My Jasper is exactly the same way. He would never dream of approaching you (or another dog) head on because in the dog world, that can be interpreted as a challenge. My Danny on the other hand doesn't have a clue. LOL

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with Fostermom. My Pawley is that way.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Daisy is that way, too. She'll look at me to get my attention but as soon as she's got it, she looks away. If I stop paying attention, she'll look at me again and then look away when I get back to doing whatever it was I was doing with her.

She'll make eye contact with me from across the room, but never face-to-face up close for more than a second.

Your mom's golden sounds alot like mine :)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I think it has to do with the dog being a rescue. Who knows what this poor golden has been through. She seemed friendly in the photos and looks full golden to me.

Also as others said, some dogs don't like eye contact. Gunner doesn't like it all the time. where as Selka would stare into my eyes nonstop. I swear he's a human inside. : )

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I agree with the other posts! Dillon rarely makes eye contact.. he's very polite and pretty submissive in general. Sam on the other hand is clueless about dog manners lol, and stares into my eyes all the time.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. She approaches looking at you, tail wagging, it's just that it's an obvious turning her head away each time you interact with her- I am so used to Miss Sienna who is all over me LOL, but this just seemed more than it should be, even my Mom noticed. She wishes she knew Sasha's history. Thankfully she seems decently trained, just is more aloof, doing her own thing. Ian liked her calmness LOL, (which is the exact opposite of Sienna), but I know he missed Sienna's silliness and interaction!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Daisy's the exact same way, very aloof. I want to use the word snobby LOL, but that's just how it feels to me sometimes, I don't think she really is a snob. :uhoh:

And Daisy's had a very good history -- no trauma, no abuse, definitely no neglect. I've heard female goldens have more of a tendency to be like this. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it's a dog thing. Don't you wish you could really understand what goes on inside their heads sometimes? Some things are just a mystery.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Daisy's the exact same way, very aloof. I want to use the word snobby LOL, but that's just how it feels to me sometimes, I don't think she really is a snob. :uhoh:

And Daisy's had a very good history -- no trauma, no abuse, definitely no neglect. I've heard female goldens have more of a tendency to be like this. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it's a dog thing. Don't you wish you could really understand what goes on inside their heads sometimes? Some things are just a mystery.

I agree Jo....I really have found, that you find that behavior more with females anyway. Lexi is very loving as well, like Daisy...BUT...she too can be very aloof compared to the boys. She does love attention, but doesn't DEMAND it in your face LOL like Brody and Klondike do.
Like Daisy....we have had Lexi since she was 8 weeks, so we know the history completely of her. Just the difference in her interaction with us, but she is so SWEET, and when SHE is wanting attention....she is a complete love bug!:smooch: Yes...I sure do wish I could know what they are saying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts