Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

If you know of a dog with sudden liver damage or death from a toxin, what was the cause?

• Plant at home/yard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plant away from home

• Food

• Chemical at home

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Momo was the best doggie in the world. That's what I used to tell our boy all the time. Even when he chewed on my third pair of shoes. And I stand by my claim. :)

Our family lost our beloved Momo at 18 weeks due to liver failure. The hospital suspects a poisonous plant, but not 100% sure yet. It has been a nightmare and a shock, still can't wrap our minds around it. He was a joy to have around.

WATCH OUT FOR TOXIC MUSHROOMS. You know chemicals can harm or kill, but do also educate yourself about toxic plants and how common they are.

Google what's common in your area. I found news reports of two dogs dying within 24 hours after eating backyard mushroom recently around my county.
We don't see any now in our yard, but all it takes is one, if that's what happened.

There are MANY other stories of mushroom poisonings.
https://www.reddit.com/r/puppy101/comments/gvmtag
Here's a glimpse of Momo's short and sweet life:

We are back to looking for our next furry friend. Would appreciate a lead to a good breeder.

Momo touched a lot of hearts, of many many who never met him, just through zoom calls, videos and pictures. Did I say he was the best doggy in the world? I mean he is still the best doggie in the world. :)

A tribute from FL posted in FB is below from a family member who never met him:
---
When I am dead, my dearest,
Sing no sad songs for me;

And there will be none for you, little boy. We will always remember you as the angel who brushed our lives for a sweet moment, gently, softly, lovingly.

When you came into our lives, you were a tiny bundle of fur and sunshine. You brought so many smiles, so much joy, such great warmth. In those few short weeks you spent on earth, you received so much love and you gave much more in return.

If blessing had four cute paws, one eagerly wagging tail, and a pair of eyes that could melt the coldest of hearts, that would be you. We have not lost you, because you will always live within us, in our hearts.
Go on, baby boy...I am sure that destiny will bring us together one day...on some plane, at some point, and we will play together again.

Be at peace wherever you are. Thank you for choosing us and coming to us during your brief interlude on earth. Sleep now, little one, and carry on to a beautiful, peaceful place where no pain will ever touch you again.
Always and forever...Momo
❤️
🐾
🐾

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I am so sorry for your tragic loss.

Reactions: rabi

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
So very sorry to hear this terribly news. My thoughts are with you.

Reactions: rabi

·
Premium Member
18,562 Posts
This is an unimaginable tragedy, I am so sorry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is an unimaginable tragedy, I am so sorry.
Thank you. We will be bringing home a puppy in a few weeks. We are afraid because we don't know for sure what took Momo's life. It's a sickening feeling. It's wonderful to open your heart to someone, but we had a stark reminder that you end up giving them a piece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts