Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

We went back to visit our breeder today and we hadn't been there since bringing Abby home about 6 weeks ago so I was really curious to see what she would do when she saw her Mom. It was a beautiful day and our breeder had all his dogs outside and when I asked which one was Lady (Abby's Mom) and he pointed her out, I thought he had lost his mind and was going senile...she looked completely different!

Lady is an American type and had a very dark red rich/thich coat the last time I saw her and now she looks younger, with less of a much thinner coat and much lighter in colour...her tail looks different too (ie: hardly any hair on it and no feathering). So he explained to us that it's normal and that females often shed their coat after they have a litter - is this true? If so, will she go back to being reddish and fuller coat of stay that colour/length?

Just curious really...thanks in advance!

Cheers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bitches certainly can and do blow their coats after having puppies as well as at other times of the year. Usually brought on by hormone levels. My girl who has 6 weeks old puppies currently is blowing coat. It is horribly thin at her sides. Though, when she blows the majority of her topcoat stays, just her feathers and sides get thin. I suppose it is different for each dog.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It's true. Bitches blow their coats and lose quite a bit of weight after they have had a litter. Nursing all those pups takes a lot out of them. They will eventually regain the weight and get their coat back. We took our two boys to visit their mothers a couple of weeks ago since our breeder is also a friend of ours, and Tyson's mom had gained all of her weight back and regrew her coat since we last saw her back in January when we picked Tyson up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I LOVE this forum! There are so many knowledgeable people on here - and the responses are so quick which is great for someone like me who enjoys instant gratification!!!! :)

Thank you SO much - I look forward to seeing Abby's Mom (Lady) in another 4 weeks when Abby gets boarded there for a few days.

Cheers,

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Yep, yep! They get really scrawny looking too but rebound quickly.

Hey - it happens to us human moms too. After I had both of my children my hair fell out in bunches!

I remember Griff's breeder was feeding his Mama 14 cups of food a day when she was nursing and she was skinny as a rail! Her coat was thinner too.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Yup, it happens in dogs and humans. I know with humans your hair stops falling out as soon as you're pregnant, and then doesn't fall out or shed till after the baby's born and a few months old. Then it's a year's worth of hair loss in a week or two - not fun!

Lana

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yup, it happens in dogs and humans. I know with humans your hair stops falling out as soon as you're pregnant, and then doesn't fall out or shed till after the baby's born and a few months old. Then it's a year's worth of hair loss in a week or two - not fun!

Lana
HA! Someone should tell my body to loose the weight like the bitches do too! LOL! I still have a ton of baby weight and the baby is almost a year old!:doh:

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
HA! Someone should tell my body to loose the weight like the bitches do too! LOL! I still have a ton of baby weight and the baby is almost a year old!:doh:
hmmmmm....Its been neary 21 years since my last baby and Im still waiting for my baby weight to 'disappear'! :doh:;):doh: :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey - it happens to us human moms too. After I had both of my children my hair fell out in bunches!
Good point Griffin's Mom - never even thought of that! Thanks.

And I hear you all on the baby weight - I have 5 year old twin girls and you should see the damage that pregnancy did to my body! Just imagine seersucker patterns on your stomach following all the elasticity being stretched to its max. :yuck:

Thanks again for the info everyone!

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Losing the weight after the pregnancy wasn't the problem. I nursed my babies and it melted away. BUT... I kept eating at the same rate and.. it's baaaaack!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts