Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...My husband & I are the proud owners of a 9 1/2 week old Golden, Molly. She is delightful. We lost our previous dog, Rudy, 1 1/2 years ago. We have 3 grandchildren 18 months old and are anxious to see their relationship with Molly develop.
While I have had a dog before, I have never had a puppy and I have some questions/concerns I hope someone can comment on.
First, although many people tell me that dogs do not soil their crates, Molly has had a couple of slight "piddle" accidents, never a "poop" though. I take her out a lot, maybe too much. I took off work the first week we had her and now, in the second week, my husband & I come home during the day about every 2 hours to play & take her out.
Second, she eats grass, leaves, bark or anything else in her path while walking or in the yard. I am worried if this will bother her stomach. I try to take anything other than food out of her mouth, but I know I don't catch it all.
Lastly, she tries to eat my sweaters, socks, slacks, etc. I have read to say a firm "No" and then give her a toy to chew on. I do this but many times there is no keeping her from her target. She is also "nippy" on fingers, etc. and I am concerned about my grandchildren and any kids that want to pet her...and we all know how kids are drawn to goldens.
All that said, she is a very sweet puppy and we are so happy to have her become a part of our lives and that of our family.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is a great site for you to have joined, welcome! If you keep browsing the forum, you will see that almost everyone has had the same questions re: their new puppy, myself included. The best advice is to be consistent and patient! Remember, this little puppy isn't going to be obedient right away, she is learning! Everything you describe is perfectly normal puppy behavior...wait until the teenage years when they know they are defying you!! :bowl:

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Welcome Madelini-- I am also a new member as of yesterday! :wave: I am so happy to have found this new site. I think that your puppy is still young and you shouldn't worry about the piddle accidents, she will learn soon enough. Goldens are real smart and eager to please their owners so it will be something she'll want to do as soon as she is able to.I was worried about my puppy eating things outside but soon realized that chewing sticks probably wouldn't hurt her and my dogs graze on grass as if they are cows or horses. They eat grass even when they don't have an upset stomach which is what I grew up believing. A really good book on raising puppies is called "Mother Knows Best" by Carol Benjamin or something close to that. I lent my copy to a friend so I can't be sure, but it is an excellent book to read if you haven't had a puppy before.:wavey:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts