Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love watching Molly play with other goldens. I just wanted to share a few photos I took yesterday. They're blurry since I used my iPhone. This is Beau, an 8 month old puppy we frequently run into at the park. Molly is the smaller, lighter one. She doesn't play with any other dog quite like she plays with Beau.

They're just so fun to watch! At one point, Beau crawled under Molly and lifted her off the ground. Silly goldens :) Molly had a full day of swimming (x2) and hiking, and playing with Beau just caused her to completely knock out when we got home. She didn't even wake up when I opened the fridge! I'm thinking Molly needs a sibling to keep her active in the winter months :) I wouldn't mind having another cute face around, either.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
The breed does make a difference because they all play differently. Tucker's two best friends are a boxer and a husky. He plays wells ith both. But when he plays with another golden or a lab, it's like he's been liberated. The play is all bitey face and tumbling around. It really is a joy to watch.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Go for it! I really think dogs are entitled to have a playmate :D I could never have less than 2! Good luck on our search!;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Two really are so much fun. Hector was 2 at the end of May and we brought Hamish home a little over 2 weeks ago. He is 10 weeks old today and already they have a really strong bond. They play rough together (under supervision) although Hector is so gentle with the pup and when Hamish gets tired they snuggle up together. Such time wasters just watching them interact...it's great!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I would love to get Buddy a Golden sister or brother but not right now- Pet sitters ie parents and brother won't watch anymore. I work 7p-7a- They are already watching 4 dogs 3 nights a week. It would have to be a younger dog or puppy. My Alpha girl Cozy is the boss.

·
Kate
20,475 Posts
The breed does make a difference because they all play differently. Tucker's two best friends are a boxer and a husky. He plays wells ith both. But when he plays with another golden or a lab, it's like he's been liberated. The play is all bitey face and tumbling around. It really is a joy to watch.
^ So true.

Having owned multiple goldens for so long, I really miss the playfights and bear noises and snotting. :eek:

We are in planning stages over here (a next step up after contemplating). ;)

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol oh you guys are dangerous! I would love a second dog, if my lease allowed it. You guys made me think for a second that my landlord would never find out...

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Lol oh you guys are dangerous! I would love a second dog, if my lease allowed it. You guys made me think for a second that my landlord would never find out...
How could your landlord possibly say no after seeing a golden puppy?;)

I agree there's nothing more fun than watching the dogs play. Just a word of caution I noticed in your pictures that the dogs still have their collars / harness's on. When they're rough-housing it's possible one or the other could tangle and get their teeth caught in the others collar. Unfortunately dogs have died due to this entanglement as they can't breathe. Even with you present should this happen trying to untangle two 60 to 70 pound Goldens isn't easy. Just some food for thought.

Pete

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How could your landlord possibly say no after seeing a golden puppy?;)

I agree there's nothing more fun than watching the dogs play. Just a word of caution I noticed in your pictures that the dogs still have their collars / harness's on. When they're rough-housing it's possible one or the other could tangle and get their teeth caught in the others collar. Unfortunately dogs have died due to this entanglement as they can't breathe. Even with you present should this happen trying to untangle two 60 to 70 pound Goldens isn't easy. Just some food for thought.

Pete
Thanks, I've read about it and thought it would be OK with me present, but next time I will remove her harness. The collar will have to stay on though, since it's a public park.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Thanks, I've read about it and thought it would be OK with me present, but next time I will remove her harness. The collar will have to stay on though, since it's a public park.
The collar would worry me more than the harness as a choking/strangulation risk. Buddy wears his fabric collar as a necklace and it can quickly be unbuckled in an emergency.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The collar would worry me more than the harness as a choking/strangulation risk. Buddy wears his fabric collar as a necklace and it can quickly be unbuckled in an emergency.
Molly's is a quick release, too, and I usually keep it very loose since I don't hook her leash onto it.

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
I think it's so awesome when Goldens play together.:) One time at a Golden Retriever play date at the park, Mercy got under a chair with another Golden pup and they wrestled each other for like forever! It was so cute!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts