Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys seemed to have worked some magic.
We are going to wait until Molly is a year old. I hate that we have a loose dog problem around here but we will take her to a private acreage during her first and last heat to work off her energy.
That isn't something I can do every day as it is quite a drive but for a few weeks we will do it for my baby.

I did contact the doggy day care and they have no restrictions on unspayed females except to not have them at daycare in heat.
If they are ever with other dogs at all, they are hand selected and she wouldn't be with an intact male , ever.

·
Premium Member
18,151 Posts
When she is in season I would keep her home and not walk her or take her out and let her run off leash anywhere. Male dogs in the area can easily smell a female in heat and come visit wherever she is. It's safer to just keep her in except for potty breaks while she is in season. By the way, it runs about 3 weeks from when you first notice spotting to when they are completely out of season.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You guys seemed to have worked some magic.
We are going to wait until Molly is a year old. I hate that we have a loose dog problem around here but we will take her to a private acreage during her first and last heat to work off her energy.
That isn't something I can do every day as it is quite a drive but for a few weeks we will do it for my baby.
As responsible actions are their own reward, you don't need my pat-on-the-back, but well-done! My attitude is that our pets have zero say in their care, and depend on us to put their needs as high as possible. It's encouraging when I get to see that in action.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,938 Posts
Just an FYI, male dogs can smell a female dog in heat up to 5 miles away. It's best to just take them out for a walk about back in over the 2-3 weeks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts