Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started Molly on a raw food diet on Tuesday this week and so far she is doing great. It's lovely to see her eat all her food and actually enjoy it, even licking the bowl clean. She started on chicken and today we introduced beef, we're introducing one new type of meat every four to five days so that we can quickly identify if anything doesn't agree with her. It might be my imagination but I'm sure she's happier and brighter, she certainly enjoys meal time much more than she used to. It's really not difficult at all feeding raw, the supplier I have found sells the meat ready minced in the correct ratios of meat, bone and offal and it's conveniently packed into 1lb size bags so it's simply a matter of making sure the day's food is out of the freezer in good time ready for feeding. She still gets a knuckle bone every week to chew on and stuffed kongs, tinned sardines and raw eggs plus fruit and veggies which she enjoys as treats. Switching to raw was a little scary and daunting with it being the unknown but now that I've done it I realise it's really not difficult at all.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Glad you're having such success with raw!! It really is a great diet for dogs. My brother changed his dog to it this week and we're already seen vast improvements. He too is thrilled with his new food items! We're taking it a little slower with the introduction of new proteins/cuts because he tends to be sensitive and I know any digestive upsets will frustrate my brother and make him doubt his decision. But so far so good!

You'll have to post pics of Molly enjoying her raw meals!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Glad Molly is doing well on her new diet!

PS, we need new pictures of your girl!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Wow this is spooky as i was on here now looking for your details to message you to see if you had ever switched to raw!!! And here you are with this post! Which suppier are you using? If you fancy a pre christmas coffee and have time before the children break up, message me and we can see if we have a mutual free slot :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies :) yes, I must take some more photos and share them here.

Elly, I'm ordering from rawtogo and have received great service and advice from a lady there called Lesley. I would recommend them if you want to give it a try for Chester. A coffee sounds like a great idea, I'll message you and we can try to sort something out :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sarah sorry I've only just seen your question now :) Molly is doing great on raw, she is healthy and it seems to agree with her. I've been buying a ready minced meat, offal and bone mix and she really seemed to enjoy it but lately she seems to have become bored with it. She still loves the un-minced whole pieces of meats that I feed her so I've decided to introduce more of that into her diet alongside the ready minced packs. I think she likes having a variety in textures. I guess when each and nearly every meal is minced it becomes boring. The pre-minced packs were a nice way to start as I didn't have a lot of confidence in what I was doing with raw but now a few months in I'm pretty confident about what to feed her.

Today I spent a good hour bagging up pieces of meat, fish and offal into portion size bags so I can freeze them. I've done a mixture of meat chunks, mince, steaks and whole pieces like chicken drumsticks and thighs. She still gets her large knuckle bone each week which she loves a good old chew on. I'm going to introduce some rabbit to her now and as mentioned in another thread I've also bought a whole mackerel fish for her to try. Until now she's had chicken, turkey, beef and lamb. The tripe and chicken mix absolutely stinks and she won't eat it so although they say it's nutritious I'm not going to buy that anymore, no point if she refuses to eat it.

And she still enjoys her yoghurt, fruit, veggies, eggs and her all time favorite is a tin of sardines in tomato sauce. So yes it's going well and Molly is enjoying her food. She needs far less that I thought she'd need, she's a light eater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts