Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I took Ozzie for a hike today, and while I enjoyed the exercise and scenery, he enjoyed the droppings horses had left behind. I spent the majority of our hike scouring the trail ahead for poop so I could try to avoid it. He was quick, and got about 3 mouthfulls.

Has anyone had this problem? How harmful are a few bites of horse poop?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
somthing about dogs and poop...they love it..eat it, roll in it....they love it.. all kinds..
if you really want to prevent it and break him of getting into it.. get an ecollar and when he reaches for it, nick him.. he will soon leave it alone..

·
Registered
465 Posts
I recently had a "poop" conversation with my vet and she said that horse poop is better to eat than dog/cat poop because of all the grain the horse eats. It has a lot of fiber in it! Cosmo has started going after Zazoo's poop so needless to say I've been making sure the yard is extra clean these days!!! You make sure their food is a high quality brand - you give them pieces of good meat - and then they go outside and eat poop!! DOUBLE YUCK!!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
When we take our dogs for a walk in our woods we have to be on constant watch for piles of waste from many unknown species of forest dwellers. We can tell by the dogs' body language that they have picked up the scent of some nearby wild treat. I, being a human, simply cannot understand the attraction to something so vile.

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Well my dog gets into the litterbox--so I had to hide it where she could not reach it. When I take her to the farm, she has tried horse poop, I'm not too worried about that tho....did you know dogs LOVE to eat the trimmings off a horses' hoof?

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
You make sure their food is a high quality brand - you give them pieces of good meat - and then they go outside and eat poop!! DOUBLE YUCK!!!
Ha ha ha So true! I make sure Augie has good food, in a nice clean dog dish, and plenty of fresh water...then I take him to the park and all he wants to do is eat green duck poop and drink out of mud puddles :yuck:

·
Bailey's Mom
692 Posts
Bailey found out about horse poop or "road apples" when we hiked in Santa Barbara last week. I found out that if I request her to "drop", I end up with a handful of ... poop. So we avoided the piles as best we could (at some points, it was either step over it or off the 100 foot cliff into the ocean -no thanks!).

·
Registered
696 Posts
I guess I don't mind it when they eat it as much as ROLLING in it.
Lucy will find a pile of cat poop, and take careful aim when she flops down on it, so that the poop perfume gets applied right behind her ears, and on the back of her neck... Like she's getting ready for a date or something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a Cattle and Horse Rancher, and a Golden Retriever owner, I definitely found out the dogs love horse dung.. lol I try to discourage it's consumption but at the same time, I have never seen any ill affects from the dogs eating it. I of course worm them regularly.. That is a must anywhere.. especially out here on a farm and ranch.
TDM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts