Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My breeder wants me to start feeding my puppy adult dog food at 5 months? My vet said 1 year.

My vet also says I should be feeding my pup 3 meals a day until 6 months. I think I fed my other golden 2 meals starting at 14 weeks per the breeder (a different one)...

This info is so contradictory I am not sure which way to go or to take on a new path? Love any help as to the best feed practices for our baby goldens. I currently am feeding him PPP Large Breed. I am feeding him 1 cup 3x a day. He is 15 weeks and 27 lbs.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I personally feed Large Breed Puppy food until 12 months. I drop to two times a day around 6 months. I also make sure not to overfeed.

If it helps my vet is also a breeder of labs. I have a very good relationship with him, and I do trust his opinion.

The breeder I got my last puppy from fed an all life stages food. I started to do it but then realized the one she wanted me to feed was grain free. Things were just really being made public about the grain free options and I discussed it with my vet at length and he assured me I should stick to my standard Large Breed Puppy food.

It is important for Golden's to be on a slow growth formula and I don't think I appreciated that until we had a Panosteitis scare. I've also been advised by one of the top Ortho Clinics on the East Coast to continue feeding mine the Large Breed Puppy until at least 12 months.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
I take them off puppy food at 6 months- puppy food I feel will grow them faster than all-life- stages.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had this same issue. I took my dog off puppy food at 7 months and started feeding him twice a day at 6 months. My puppy was starting to get a little overweight even though I was only feeding him 1.5 cups two times a day and exercising him a lot. My vet (who is a vet to some of the best breeders of CT) told me to switch over to adult food because puppy food tends to have more fat and calories than adult food. I give him some omega 3/6 supplements also for extra nutrients. I think as long as your puppy is doing well and no overweight on the puppy food you are good to keep him/her on it. I dont think you should beat yourself or stress yourself out about this-- I know I did. As long as your pup is healthy dont stress out or feel pressured!

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,205 Posts
I take them off puppy food at 6 months- puppy food I feel will grow them faster than all-life- stages.

All Life stage food is by definition a small breed puppy food. That is the type of puppy with the greatest nutritional needs as they expel more energy just getting around. But they generally tend to have more protein and fat then what a large breed puppy food will have. Honestly the last type of food I'd feed is all life stage to a large breed pup. You also don't want ANY Glucosamine or Chondroitin in a puppies food till 1 year as the body makes it's own and by giving supplemented joint care the body stops making their own. The natural Glucosamine and Chondroitin is able to be MUCH more metabolized then synthesized can be.

To the OP... With that said, I never move to adult food till 8-12 months and usually around 9 myself. They are still just growing too much at 5 and 6 months to totally come off puppy food. Plus the correct levels of Calcium/Phosphorus for controlled growth. No to mention the increased levels of DHA in the puppy foods for cognitive development I want in my pups food for at least 8 or 9 months

·
Kate
22,744 Posts
How many puppies has your vet raised?

How many puppies has your breeder raised?

:)

Sometimes this is something to keep in mind - and it's tough because you would think/hope/expect vets to be the bible on caring for and raising animals. Some are, but some are not.

As stuff changes out there and more and more people are pushing the "adopt don't shop" stuff - it's becoming more common for a lot of 20-40 year olds (new vets) to fall in love with dogs and seek careers in animal care as vets, techs, assistants, etc...

This means that you are more and more frequently getting vets who do not have any real experience in raising dogs from puppyhood. Just like they do not specifically know a lot about breed specific conditions with certain breeds - and until they gain a LOT more experience through their clients... might unfortunately be prone to assume allergies instead of pinpointing genetic conditions.

Not bashing vets - but am saying that there are times when you should listen to both the breeder and the vet - at least if the breeder you purchased a puppy from is somebody who knows their stuff through a cazillion years as a dog owner, dog breeder, and the first contact and source of advice for all their puppy people.

You DO have breeders who have reasons to mislead puppy people and downplay serious health issues in what they breed or produced (those who would tell a puppy person that their dog doesn't have elbow dysplasia, but had a catastrophic elbow injury from just running around outside).

Other breeders may tell you to feed grain free because they are convinced grain foods are the cause of all problems. And if you fed grain food like PP and your dog developed cancer, they will claim that's why.

Oh and vaccinations and parasite prevention either way is another area where breeders may say something that's... not 100% what you want to do???

Some degree of common sense is necessary when gauging who to listen to when.

I wean off the 3rd meal after 4-5 months or so. Whenever the pups are bigger and eating full sized meals and aren't asking STARVED between meals. When they are just eating 1/2 to 3/4 cups per meal, I feed 3x a
day. <= You could also feed dogs 3 times a day for their entire lives. How frequent you feed depends on your routines and what makes sense for the dogs.

Switching to adult food - I know breeders who always feed adult food. Both my dogs came from breeders like that. The one feeds "all life stages" kibble and the other just feeds them PPSS&S same as the other dogs.

My older boy was switched to adult food when he was about 4-5 months old. And my current pup was switched 5-6 months.

I think the puppy food is easier on their stomachs than adult food? Or it's supposed to be. That's the primary reason why I preferred feeding both my guys puppy food when they first came home and kept them on the stuff for 2-3 months before switching to adult food.

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
I think some of it has to do with the dog, too. My dog was a very slow grower, and so we kept her on puppy food until she was about 11 or 12 months old. She also does better eating three times a day. I tried phasing out the third meal, but it didn't work for her, so I went back to three. She is still small to this day, so feeding two bigger meals is just too much food at one time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts