Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
I dont know if its my imagination or not but Misty's coat seems to be thinner than it used to be. Is this possible at this time of year?? Does anyone know why this may be happening? :confused: She is acting fine, ears are fine, and eating and all that normally..but he coat just seems thin to me. Any information would be greatly appreciated...

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OH One thing I have noticed...her back seems to be itchy...just in the last week. I have been using the heat more...could all this be connected?

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
If she's not outside much, she may not grow as much of a coat as if she was 'needing' it. Storee and Ticket sleep in the mudroom off the kitchen, it's not as insulated as the rest of the house so it's a bit cooler, and they both have really thick coats and find it too hot in the house for their liking. Bender is in the house most of the time and she doesn't have as much coat.

Lana

·
Hannahsmom
85 Posts
We had a retriever who had the same problem years ago and it turned out to be her thyroid. You might want to have that checked???

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is not outside that much...to go potty and for her walk..but thats it. So maybe thats why? I was thinking thyroid, but everything else is fine with her...and I just got over her having a UTI for almost 3 months with over $100 antibiotics every 2 weeks and every 2 week urine tests at 45 a pop..thats after the initial bill of over $250. :doh: I cant afford to take her for a thyroid screening right now :(. So I hope its just my imagination...or being inside in the heat.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
If she is losing undercoat, it is probably due to not needing it. Undercoat is what they generally shed. If she is shedding a lot of top coat, that is not normal. Some loss is Ok, but it should not be noticeable when you look at her.

·
Registered
563 Posts
See my earlier thread on shedding--our Brady has a similar coat right now. He goes to daycare twice a week so he could use a nice heavy coat. He's also itchy...we think it's probably the heater since we're itchy, too.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I'm guessing it's that she hasn't built up much undercoat since she's indoors more often. The more time she spends outside in the cool temps, the thicker her coat will become. Ike's is thinning now too. It's been too wet to spend much time outside and his coat is showing it. Ike's itchy again too. I think it's from the indoor heat this time of year. I've started putting fish oil tablets in Ike's food to help with dryness of his skin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I posted a similar situation I'm having with my Duke. He acts totally fine except his coat looks so thin. I called the vet a few weeks back when he started shedding and he had originally said could be because he's in the house all the time and doesn't need a heavy coat, but he didn't do this last year and he was in the house then too. He's not shedding anymore, but his coat looks so thin! Called back and they said to watch him for a couple weeks and if he doesn't look better to call them and bring him in. God luck!!

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks you all..Im thinking its the heat and being inside so much...I think Ill get some fish oil tablets, Paula..thanks! I appreciate you responses!

·
Registered
511 Posts
If she's not outside much, she may not grow as much of a coat as if she was 'needing' it. Storee and Ticket sleep in the mudroom off the kitchen, it's not as insulated as the rest of the house so it's a bit cooler, and they both have really thick coats and find it too hot in the house for their liking. Bender is in the house most of the time and she doesn't have as much coat.

Lana
My understanding is that coats have nothing to do with temperature. The shedding cycle is driven by amount of daylight.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Thyroid can be done fairly inexpensively, and is a good idea, especially since you have mentioned you think she is slightly heavy even without a lot of food :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I just sent in a sample of Maddie's blood to Dr. Jean Dodds for her thyroid to be tested. The vet charged me $20 to take the blood and the test is $65 so it wasn't too bad. Maddie's coat seems kind of thin too, she sleeps a lot, and she only eats 1 3/4 cup of food per day but still seems a tiny bit pudgy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts