Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Michelle, M & M's mommy
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else been asked if their red Golden is an Irish Setter? I know it shouldn't bug me but it does.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My Maggie was a beautiful redhead and I would be asked that all the time.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I wouldn't take it personal. I was so ignorant about Goldens till I came to this site. And years ago....I mistook a Golden for a Lab once. I was greatly embarrassed and the owner a little miffed.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
My Pawley is often mistaken for a irish setter. He is taller and long legged and very red.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
oh geez, don't worry, people ask all sorts of weird questions which really just show their ignorance.
My Tito Monster (in the avatar) to me looks pretty much like a golden. I've been asked several times what breed he is.
Got asked yesterday if he is a Duck Toller, LOL! That about floored me!

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
With Casey I was asked this a lot when he was younger, now not so frequently since he is heavier.

It never really bothered me since it was almost always accompanied with comments on how beautiful he is :)

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Join the crowd. Many people who are not familiar with dog breeds may get slightly confused sometimes:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a redhead but he's never been mistaken for a setter. However, my last golden who was a golden/setter mix looked 100% pure golden and everyone was shocked when I told them his daddy was a setter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have field trial goldens and they are always much darker and sometimes very dark red.....so no worries. Like the other post said a few back, if you put real time pics of a golden (even a field bred golden next to a Irish Setter) you can tell the difference. Remember very light golden to dark red is the color spectrum. We love all of em'

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I had a little red girl , her name was jamie, oh how i loved that sweet girl, she was sweetie to me, asked all the time that question , she died so young, age 9, bone cancer, she will be in my heart forever, almost 7 years ago, and still tears, gee how i miss her.

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
Riley has been mistaken for a setter only once or twice that I know of,,but not near like he has the Nova Scotia Duck Toller. I even mistook the Duck Toller for a retriever one day. Quite similar except for the head and especially the face.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I have never had my red heads mistaken for an Irish, but people always ask if they are Golden Labs (now that really irritates me for some reason).

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
my guys (who aren't dark) have been.

I was embarrassed once when I had to ask if a golden was a golden or a setter (that's since I've been on this forum!). The guy was the darkest, mahogony red I could ever imagine, but he was built like a golden. pure beauty!

·
Registered
149 Posts
This would happen to us all of the time. Porter, who was a red head, took it in stride. He really didn't mind especially if they would give him a little extra attention. On the other hand, I got annoyed after being asked this so often. I know people just don't know, but it got tiring being asked that all of the time. :doh:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Owww please don't take it as an insult I think Goldens along with the feathering can confuse people that do not know breads, and although their is a breed standard it covers quite a large spectrum (long legged short legged blocky head fine head working and show types) the list goes on.
My first pup was an Irish Setter and I can understand why a non dog enthusiast could mistake the finer longer legged and redder Golden's as an Irish Setter, my Irish setter was small for the breed and was asked often if she was a Red border collie ho hum but it never upset me why would it, people liked her enough to stop and ask about her they could have asked if she was a corgi as far as I was concerned LOL.
Now if someone asked if Jade was a Golden hmmm ;)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Yes, my redhead has been asked if she was an Irish Setter before.

But I've got one a lot better than that. This past July, I was leaving an obedience trial with her in hand, and some guy calls out, "Is that a Bluetick?" I kind of looked around, wanted to see who had brought a bluetick coonhound, since I've never seen one in person.

He repeated the question and it took me a couple of seconds to get over my shock when I realized he was talking to me. I figured he had to be kidding so I kind of smiled, but then I realized he was serious. I told him no, she was a golden retriever. He replied, "oh, I thought it was a bluetick."

Talk about not knowing your breeds!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts