Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,782 Posts
Job well done, RIP 41.

Sully's next mission-

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/newsfeature/george-hw-bush’s-service-dog-sully-was-only-with-the-president-for-six-months-heres-where-hes-going-now/ar-BBQqFzF?li=BBnb7Kz

Former President George H.W. Bush was matched with his service dog, Sully, in June, through America's VetDogs, an organization that trains service dogs for military veterans.
Sully, a two-year-old labrador, paid a final tribute to Bush on Sunday and he guarded his casket.
Sully will now join the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center's Facility Dog Program.
At Walter Reed, Sully will assisted wounded soldiers and active duty personnel through physical and occupational therapy.
George H.W. Bush's service dog Sully is headed to a military medical center to help wounded soldiers after spending the last six months alongside the former president, who died on Friday, at 94.

Sully paid final tribute to the president on Sunday as he was photographed guarding Bush's casket. Bush's spokesman, Jim McGrath captioned a photo of the touching moment, "Mission Complete."

·
Registered
259 Posts
My wife and I have raised a few puppies for America's VetDogs our first puppy was trained and also served as a facility dog for a few months where he earned his SGT stripes while there as Sully certainly will as well. While there he was being considered for transfer to a base in Afghanistan but fortunately America's VetDogs felt he was best suited to serve an individual. He was brought back to Long Island and trained for his future partners specific needs.
A few months later he was partnered with a very nice gentleman who served in the Vietnam war who we were fortunate enough to meet before they went home, an evening that my wife and I both consider among the most heart warming moments of our lives and often tell people about it when they mention reservations about having to return a puppy in training. There's no question that Sully will make a difference in many lives as I'm sure he has already. We're very proud to have been able to help this amazing organization. This is a graduation photo we received of Finnegan from America's VetDogs, he looks so much like Sully.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
A beautiful 2 day send off for one of the best 1 term POTUS.
Passing the ADA and the Clean Water Act are among his greatest achievements while in office.
GHWB served our country starting at age 18 and well in to his late 80's.
Along with his beautiful family he was the epitome of a dog owner.

RIP 41. One of the best to ever serve our country. He made our country a better place.

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
This was a great story that came out of a sad event. For me it came at the perfect time since my litter of six black lab puppies turn 3 weeks old on Friday. The litter is owned by a service dog organization whose mission includes providing service dogs to individuals with disabilities, including veterans.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,782 Posts
Sully gets new job!

Sully, the former service dog for the late President H.W. Bush, started his next assignment Wednesday in Maryland. Sully joined the Facility Dog Program at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. The program provides interactive care for patients and staff using service dogs and other animals using innovative "Animal Assisted Interventions," according to Walter Reed. The mission of the program is to help reduce stress and increase overall feelings of well-being among patients and staff, the hospital said.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,782 Posts
President George HW Bush's service dog Sully has received a very special award.

https://foxsanantonio.com/news/nation-world/sully-the-service-dog-honored-with-2019-akc-paw-of-courage

The American Kennel Club has honored the late President George H.W. Bush's service dog, Sully, as the recipient of the 2019 AKC Paw of Courage award.

This award is in recognition of his loyalty, dedication and distinguished service.

Sully, a two and a half-year-old Labrador Retriever, is a highly trained service dog who was paired with the former President and Navy veteran in June 2018, and was specifically matched to provide assistance and companionship to President Bush in his daily activities. Sully assisted with everyday tasks such as retrieving items, summoning help, and most importantly providing companionship to President Bush in his daily activities.

In February 2019, Sully joined the Walter Reed Bethesda Facility Dog Program as a Navy Hospital Corpsman Second Class (HM2), where he provides interactive care for patients and staff.

"The devotion and comfort that dogs provide their owners goes unmatched," said AKC President and CEO Dennis Sprung. "Sully served the late President George H.W. Bush honorably; providing him support and assistance, but even more importantly, love and companionship. The 2019 AKC Paw of Courage gives us an opportunity to pay tribute to the devotion that Sully brought to the late President in the final months of his life."

The Labrador Retriever even has an Instagram account (@SullyHWBush) where he has grown his following to more than 250,000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts