Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Some of you know that my mom lives in a nursing home. She has Alzheimer's Disease. Gunner and I visit her at least three times a week. The last time we saw her was last Tuesday. The whole nursing home is in quarantine with the flu! No one is allowed in to visit. There are over 250 people living or in rehab at this home. How sad for us and all the families that missed out on seeing a loved one for Christmas. This was the first time in my life that I wasn't with my mom for Christmas. Right now there is no end in site. I called today and was told that more people are coming down with it. Please say a prayer for all of the residents and pray that this awful sickness goes away soon....thank you.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Oh Cathy, I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for all the residents and staff, but especially that your Mom avoids the flu. It can be so dangerous for the elderly and infirmed.

Reactions: Cathy's Gunner

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I am so, so sorry that must have been very hard for you. Were you able to speak on the phone at least? Saying lots of prayers for everyone concerned !!

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, we did not speak to her on the phone. I don't think she would have understood what was going on.... I found out today that her roommate just came down with it so unfortunately, my mom will probably get it too. She is 85 years old and in good health except for the Alzheimer's. I'm praying that she will fight it off or not get it as bad as some of them. Thanks for your prayers.....

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sending many prayers to your Mum. And hugs to you Cathy.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I am so sorry--how sad for all of you.

I'm going to say some prayers that your Mom's immune system will hold up and she won't get the flu. That is so scary, especially in that type of situation, with so many vulnerable people living in such close quarters. My FIL's nursing home also had a quarantine last year and he was able to stave off an infection.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Prayers coming her way. I am so sorry you didn't get to see her for Christmas. I hope she is able to get through this without getting it. Sending hugs your way and hope the news is better soon.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Im so sorry you didnt get to see your Mom on Christmas, and that you have to be worried about her getting sick. I am praying for you both.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I'm so sorry. Lots of prayers and good thoughts for your Mom, and for you.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I am so sorry, that is so hard for you and so hard for all those vulnerable people who have caught it so far too. I am also thinking of the staff as their work must be even more difficult right now and they must also be vulnerable to catching it. What a dreadful situation for you all. Sending you a big hug and really feeling for you. Have said my prayers and am sending positive thoughts. x

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the prayers. I will be calling there later this afternoon to see how my mom is doing. I pray she is still fighting this off. Hope this ends soon....

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Cathy, sending healing thoughts to your mom and everyone there. My mom is in a long term care facility too and I know exactly what you are going through. I hope they are able to open the doors soon so that you and Gunner can go see your mom.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I am so sorry you didn't get to see your Mom on Christmas.
I'll say many prayers hoping she doesn't get the flu and the quarantine is lifted soon.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
So sorry that your mom's facility is on lock-down. I pray that your mom doesn't catch the bug and that you can see her soon. That would have upset me terribly, I understand your sadness.

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
I am so very sorry. I can imagine that must have been difficult not being able to see her on Christmas, but to have to worry about her possibly getting the flu to is just not fair. I hope everyone at the nursing home is ok and they can get rid of this flu virus ASAP!

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just talked to my mom's nurse. She has a cough and some congestion but no flu-like symptoms. They are going to evaluate the home again on Friday and decide if and when they can let people back in to visit. They said that any flu-like symptom needs 72 hours clear before the person is safe to visit. I feel for all the aids, nurses and doctors that are working with all of them. They are such wonderful and caring people.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am so sorry Cathy that none of the residents got to be with family for Christmas.. how very sad for them and their relatives! I hope they all are better soon!!

I know how hard it is to have a parent in a facility. My dad is going to hospice tomorrow . He has been in a nursing home for four months and is not going to get better. We spent time with him on Christmas Eve and C. Day but he has a feeding tube and pneumonia so is not enjoying life much at all. He did laugh at the pic of Gunnie in the Santa hat!
God bless you.. I bet she loves seeing Gunner. My dad loves when his peke visits and when I bring Gunner. Sasha is too rambunctious yet for therapy visits!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts