Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching Darby entertain herself all day (usually up to no good) I think back to the last few years of our dog Sierra who just recently went to rainbow bridge. My family keeps making the mistake of planning going out to eat or some social entertainment venue, when it dawns on us that we have a new puppy. "Go out's" have turned into "take out's". "Sleep'ins" have turned into "sleeplessness". Footwear has turned into playtoys, and I may not have to ever cut my lawn or pickup leaves again since Darby tries her best to ingest them all. I so look forward to the deep bonding and trustworthiness that will eventually come, and it makes me realize how much time and love was invested in Sierra. We could easily leave for the day and go boating while she was perfectly content to stay home and snooze all day. Occasionally she would "hit" both bathrooms and eat the outside corners of the toilet paper roll away leaving the user a very small surface wiping area. I think she was proud of her accomplishment and assured us that she did a chore while we were away. Now that I look back it's apparent what a small incident that really was. Darby is laying between my legs right now sleeping as I write this, and I'm sure she is planning her next moves as she sleeps and pre planning which pair of shoes to wriggle under the table to destroy. Old and young...You gotta love em......:eek:

Attachments

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Watching Darby entertain herself all day (usually up to no good) I think back to the last few years of our dog Sierra who just recently went to rainbow bridge. My family keeps making the mistake of planning going out to eat or some social entertainment venue, when it dawns on us that we have a new puppy. "Go out's" have turned into "take out's". "Sleep'ins" have turned into "sleeplessness". Footwear has turned into playtoys, and I may not have to ever cut my lawn or pickup leaves again since Darby tries her best to ingest them all. I so look forward to the deep bonding and trustworthiness that will eventually come, and it makes me realize how much time and love was invested in Sierra. We could easily leave for the day and go boating while she was perfectly content to stay home and snooze all day. Occasionally she would "hit" both bathrooms and eat the outside corners of the toilet paper roll away leaving the user a very small surface wiping area. I think she was proud of her accomplishment and assured us that she did a chore while we were away. Now that I look back it's apparent what a small incident that really was. Darby is laying between my legs right now sleeping as I write this, and I'm sure she is planning her next moves as she sleeps and pre planning which pair of shoes to wriggle under the table to destroy. Old and young...You gotta love em......:eek:

Our wonderful Sierra. We miss her...

Attachments

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
This made me smile, thank you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This sounds so much like us too. We said goodbye to our 15.5 year old retriever/shephard cross, Casey, last spring and welcomed 8 week old Oliver (golden retriever) in October. We still compare most things Oliver does to what Casey did as a pup and I still miss her and the bond we had. Oliver is now 4 1/2 months and he and I are bonding but it'll still take some time. Yesterday was the first day I left Oliver home alone all day -- and with full access to the entire house. He was alone about 8 hours and to my surprise, nothing at all seems to be disturbed. Next time I might not be so lucky!

Thanks for your post. It reminds me of our time with Casey and the adjustment to Oliver and how wonderful it is to have a furry friends in my life.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
lol i know exactly what you are going through. after my 3 yr old Saya was given for adoption and 1 month later i got Yuki i went through sleepless nights and cleaning after Yuki, hiding anything he may chew except his toys and so on. i cant count how many times i have said "no" or chased him to get my shoe back lol. old and new....aaah what can i say...bringing up a pup is sure lot of work but its well worth it in the long run. :D btw Darby's really cute.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts