Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else have trouble with their puppy rolling in the pee after they have an accident! Not every time but enough that I can’t bathe her that much and I have to try and use puppy wipes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Any one else have trouble with their puppy rolling in the pee after they have an accident! Not every time but enough that I can’t bathe her that much and I have to try and use puppy wipes.

Not so much in pee, but mine sat down in it after a poop, then smiled and took off barking! I thought it was an accident, but she did another, dipped a paw and took off again..A game of sorts I think!

I use puppy wipes as well..gone through a ton since getting her 3 weeks ago..>:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Not so much in pee, but mine sat down in it after a poop, then smiled and took off barking! I thought it was an accident, but she did another, dipped a paw and took off again..A game of sorts I think!

I use puppy wipes as well..gone through a ton since getting her 3 weeks ago../images/GoldenretrieverForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
We’ve had her for 8 days. And she’s had three baths and gone through countless puppy wipes! I don’t want to wash her too often it can’t be good for her skin but I also don’t think it’s good for her to have pee all over her! Although gotta say I’m glad Bonnie doesn’t sit in her poop! That must be horribly smelly! 😂 she does however fart all the time 🤢🤮 they smell horrible. The cat gags 😂

·
Puddles
3,118 Posts
My girl came with fleas and had a bath daily for the 1st 2 weeks, use a mild shampoo and she will be fine.

I'm not sure where you got your pup but a good breeder usually teaches their pups some house training and keeps them very clean so they don't want to be covered in pee or poo. So consider what her environment was before she came home with you.

If you are crating they usually don't want to pee in their crates. Guess what I'm saying is it's up to you to avoid the accidents. Take her out every 30 minutes, on leash so you have some control. Lots of great potty training info on the forum, just do a search for more suggestions. Help her learn this is not a proper behavior. But if this pup has been raised outside without supervision you will need to be patient, it's going to take a while.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My girl came with fleas and had a bath daily for the 1st 2 weeks, use a mild shampoo and she will be fine.

I'm not sure where you got your pup but a good breeder usually teaches their pups some house training and keeps them very clean so they don't want to be covered in pee or poo. So consider what her environment was before she came home with you.

If you are crating they usually don't want to pee in their crates. Guess what I'm saying is it's up to you to avoid the accidents. Take her out every 30 minutes, on leash so you have some control. Lots of great potty training info on the forum, just do a search for more suggestions. Help her learn this is not a proper behavior. But if this pup has been raised outside without supervision you will need to be patient, it's going to take a while.
She was inside with her siblings and the breeders family. She goes out every 30 minutes and actually whines if it hasn’t been 30 mins but she has to go. She even makes it a full night we stopped waking up in the middle of the night to take her out because she has no interest and tries to go to sleep in the yard. But if we leave to go grocery shopping or any small 1 hr trip she pees in her crate and rolls in it. We even tried buying a pen that we attached to her crate so she has an area to play when we go shopping thinking maybe she was mad at us for leaving. She has never pooped in the house and the peeing doesn’t happen that often but when it does she’s right there in it. I work from home most of the week. The days I don’t work from home I’m only gone 2hrs at a time.
She really likes baths could she be doing it at this point for the bath?

·
Premium Member
17,907 Posts
How big is the crate? Does he she have enough room to pee in one end and lay down in the other? If she does, it's really too big. Block off part of the crate so she has enough room to turn around and lay down. That will help discourage her from peeing in the crate.

When I had rescue puppies that had been left in their waste where they lived before, I had to put several layers of towels in the crate to soak up the pee until they learned to hold it. You could try that, make the crate smaller and put a good thick layer of towels to soak up the pee, at least she would be cleaner.

·
Registered
389 Posts
With mine, it was a rebellion of sorts. She has been here for all of 3 weeks now, and completely made herself at home. The sitting thing occurred suspiciously close to when she was "released" from her time out pen, the 1st few days after her cross country car trip.

I spoke with my friends that gave her to me, (they own the Mom and Dad), and they said the Mom did similar things as a pup to get even. She is learning that behaving = NO time outs..For me..No more poop sitting, and she never farted that I know of..at least not close by.)..LOL

I thought my Border Collie/ Choc. Lab mix was smart..hahahah..this little girl is downright clever

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With mine, it was a rebellion of sorts. She has been here for all of 3 weeks now, and completely made herself at home. The sitting thing occurred suspiciously close to when she was "released" from her time out pen, the 1st few days after her cross country car trip.

I spoke with my friends that gave her to me, (they own the Mom and Dad), and they said the Mom did similar things as a pup to get even. She is learning that behaving = NO time outs..For me..No more poop sitting, and she never farted that I know of..at least not close by.)..LOL

I thought my Border Collie/ Choc. Lab mix was smart..hahahah..this little girl is downright clever
We figured out she just wants a bath everyday 😂 after we catch her all peed she runs to the tub. So I’m pretty sure she’s just smart. She also peed in the cats litter box the other night so that was interesting.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,812 Posts
Reading your part about her peeing in the cats litter box - did the breeder possibly have a box in their pen for potty? If so, that could be what attracted her to the litter box.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reading your part about her peeing in the cats litter box - did the breeder possibly have a box in their pen for potty? If so, that could be what attracted her to the litter box.
Not that I know of but I can ask. She watches him when ever he goes in it. Not sure if a cat can teach a dog stuff but if they can she may just be copying him. I’m okay with that instead of accidents on my carpet 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts