Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a family member visiting soon who has developed a dog allergy. He gets uncomfortable pretty quickly and will use a medication to help. He won't be sleeping at my house but I would like to be able to have him here and I'm wondering what I can do to help the situation. I found two shampoo products and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either one: Allerpet or Allersearch.

I've also thought about getting an air purifier, but I'm not sure if that would really help much. Also I don't want to spend much more than $100ish since I'm not sure it's something we need other than these few days of the visit.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Agreed! Vacuum like crazy, de-shed the couch/chairs and keep your dog out of the living room. Maybe even take your dog to the groomer, or do it yourself, for a bath and a good blowing off of all the loose fur right before your friend arrives. It’s about all you can do, since Goldens seem to walk around in a cloud of lose floof!

·
Kristy
10,621 Posts
Follow the above advice, but if your budget allows for it, splurge on the air purifier. Check amazon for ratings or do a google search. The smaller one room versions are just over $100 and they really do work. You could also change out the HVAC air filters the day before he comes and try to provide outdoor seating for people in the party who might like to spend less time indoors. You sound like a very thoughtful and considerate person to try to accommodate your relative like that. Best of luck :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm allergic to our dog's urine dander and had bad allergies when she was very young and getting potty trained indoors with a fakr grass patch. We bought this which worked incredibly well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X25BNBR/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_FA7TPPCB5768JV725TGG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For air purifiers, they need to have a HEPA filter to be effective. Now she no longer potties indoors, we only use it when guests with allergies are over, or when we cook bacon in the winter lol - it also does a great job with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts