Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do miniature goldens exist that are not bread with mini doodles? My golden passed and I want another one But, I don’t want another 80 lb dog. I would like a golden 50 lbs or under. Is this possible? If so, where would I get one?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes, very possible. My golden Maggie is almost 2 and is 50 lbs. She might be on the small side but they are out there. Talk to a breeder that has smaller, but still standard, females and you will see more like Maggie. Even spread out on the couch she only takes up one cushion. She is a lap dog :)

Good luck.
Jules

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
A bitch should not weigh 80 pounds. It's very within the realm of normal to have a 50 # girl, she'd be called small, not miniature... and I think if you inquire of breeders, don't use that word. Suggest instead you are looking for a smaller girl.

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
I have a small girl - 45 pounds, 20.5 inches tall. My previous girl was 55 pounds. Both full Goldens, bred to standard.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Please go to a responsible breeder that does not breed “mini goldens”. If you want a smaller golden, get a well bred female. They are usually 55-65 pounds. Responsible breeders should be ethical, have all of the core clearances on their breeding dogs, participate in various events, etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Echoing what was said above, avoid looking for "miniature goldens" as to my knowledge, this is a cross between goldens and cocker spaniels and not a true golden retriever.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,036 Posts
Echoing what was said above, avoid looking for "miniature goldens" as to my knowledge, this is a cross between goldens and cocker spaniels and not a true golden retriever.
Not sure how true this actually is but I have heard similar years ago about crossing to cockers and being called miniature Goldens

1 - 9 of 9 Posts