Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 174 Posts

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tonysayssss, her response to you was exactly the same response as she sent to someone on my Yahoo email group who emailed her. Must be her stock answer.

I just think this is horrible. Poor dogs, and poor people who spend all their money on these pups. The one is being sold for a reduced price because it's color wasn't right. For a mixed breed???

·
Registered
306 Posts
Tonysayssss, her response to you was exactly the same response as she sent to someone on my Yahoo email group who emailed her. Must be her stock answer.

I just think this is horrible. Poor dogs, and poor people who spend all their money on these pups. The one is being sold for a reduced price because it's color wasn't right. For a mixed breed???
oh... drats. i assumed as much when she hit on the "you value dogs more than people!" thing. how unfortunate. :(

·
16,000 Posts
People rarely if ever necrospsy mutts who have died, nor do the do any health clearances. How on earth can they say with any accuracy that their dogs did not have HD/ED, SAS, eye problems, etc etc etc?

Further, the crossing of two breeds that are known to have health issues does NOT negate those health issues from occuring.

And, a "hybrid" is the result of a cross between 2 SPECIES, not 2 breeds.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I'm so sorry I clicked on that link. Now I sit here and I am disgusted at their website. It truly looks like the lines of a puppy mill. They breed for profit only. So sad.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry that I got everyone fired up about this but I had to share, just because I am fired up about it.

Shame on her for making a profit from unknowing people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh. I never knew that before. So it really is just a mix. I think it depends on the mix you choose. One of my dogs is a Yorkie Poodle cross and he was only $450 as opposed to the $1200 - $2500 breeders want for a AKC Yorkie. Some purebred dogs are much more expensive. I'm sure that's why adoption is a route for people but sometimes, those people aren't prepared for a dog that could have emotional problems or a hard time adjusting from kennel life.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Have seen an advert today for a Golden crossed with a Cocker Spaniel advertised as a "Rare Find".

Whilst the public continue to buy these so called designer breeds or whatever other label you want to give them then the dogs will continue to be expoited, and the so called breeders will continue to rub their hands with glee as the money is handed over.

·
16,000 Posts
oh. I never knew that before. So it really is just a mix. I think it depends on the mix you choose. One of my dogs is a Yorkie Poodle cross and he was only $450 as opposed to the $1200 - $2500 breeders want for a AKC Yorkie. Some purebred dogs are much more expensive.

Not any more...now that cutsie names are the big thing, you have a YorkiePoo and some "breeders" are selling them for a couple of grand. Usually, people are paying much MORE for one of these "designer" mutts than they would pay for a purebred.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
oh. I never knew that before. So it really is just a mix. I think it depends on the mix you choose. One of my dogs is a Yorkie Poodle cross and he was only $450 as opposed to the $1200 - $2500 breeders want for a AKC Yorkie. Some purebred dogs are much more expensive. I'm sure that's why adoption is a route for people but sometimes, those people aren't prepared for a dog that could have emotional problems or a hard time adjusting from kennel life.
I'm not sure I understand you. Do you think that dogs in rescue come from kennels? I think the majority of them come from shelters or are owner surrendered (though small breed, highly desirable dogs may come from different backgrounds than the dogs I deal with), though there are a few that are strays. I will say from experience that the majority of them do NOT have emotional problems, nor are they coming into rescue from kennels. I think I might have misunderstood what you are saying.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Things like this make my blood boil. Grr! She's got tons of litters- she's expecting a mini goldendoodle litter too. That would be a mutt x3.

Mixed breeds are no healthier than pure bred dogs. We just know a lot more of the health problems in a pure bred dog because people know and care enough to screen for disease and have testing done after death. Not many people do this for mixed breeds, there are too many variables and you might not even know what breeds the dog is made of.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
You can see that they have GREAT breeding stock- they're breeding skittish and people-scared dog. Let me jump on one of her puppies ASAP! :(

"Angel" f1 medium standard goldendoodle is now available for rehome.
Angel has been a good mom and a fairly nice pet as well. She does need a special home as she is stranger shy. She is great with our family, has a calm and mellow disposition, crate trained, leash trained, loves to come in the house, is not a rambunctious/destructive girl.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i don't know why people assume shelter dogs are neurotic or have some sort of traumatic past. when i got to the shelter, it's normally 50% pitts, 25% mutts/designers, 25% purebred dogs. they are some of the most loving and grateful dogs you can own.

designer mutts around here cost as much as AKC registered dogs in most cases.

·
Registered
306 Posts
so, out of curiosity, where do you draw the line between puppy mills and crazy lunatics like this woman? she's got, what, 20+ pups in her home? 3 litters every few months? i guess simply because she's getting paid moo-goo and has money to house/deworm she's 1 tiny step above?

i don't see why this should be legal. it's repulsive.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
i don't know why people assume shelter dogs are neurotic or have some sort of traumatic past. when i got to the shelter, it's normally 50% pitts, 25% mutts/designers, 25% purebred dogs. they are some of the most loving and grateful dogs you can own.

designer mutts around here cost as much as AKC registered dogs in most cases.

My Dory is probably the sweetest I know.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I think mixed breeds are sweet too, and that they all deserve a home. But what this woman is doing is wrong in my opinion. She is doing nothing but capitalizing on a fad and chasing the almighty dollar. While she may keep her dogs clean and cared for, I think there is more to it than this craziness

·
16,000 Posts
so, out of curiosity, where do you draw the line between puppy mills and crazy lunatics like this woman? she's got, what, 20+ pups in her home? 3 litters every few months? i guess simply because she's getting paid moo-goo and has money to house/deworm she's 1 tiny step above?

i don't see why this should be legal. it's repulsive.

It is most likely NOT legal, and if AC in her town knew that she was keeping 20+ dogs in her home, as a business, they'd shut her down.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
It is most likely NOT legal, and if AC in her town knew that she was keeping 20+ dogs in her home, as a business, they'd shut her down.
And there we come full circle to protecting pets by enforcing the laws already on the books.

21 - 40 of 174 Posts