Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Golden spins clockwise and counter-clockwise for up to 5 minutes before he gets down to do his business.
He will turn around three or more times, then his butt will go up and down several times and after he is done with this ritual, he would slowly go down in the typical dog-poo position, after another minute or so he stretches out his neck, looks at the sky and then finally he does it.

Questions to answer:

- Does anyone know what is the significance of where he poops?

- Why is it so important for him to do it here and not there?

- Almost every dog follows the same ritual of dancing around on the leash, why?

Pepe

·
Registered
414 Posts
Clancy is not that bad, but he will circle around a couple times, maybe move over a few feet and circle again, but once he decides he has the right spot he gets right to business.

Same when they lie down. Sometimes he just plunks right down, other times he circles 2 or 3 times.

Don't know why.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
This thread is really funny. I have no idea why they would do this, but Kia does it too and our little puppies which are not even 6 weeks old are starting to do this as well... :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cooper does this too, he must find the exact spot! Cooper has a strange habit, he only does the toilet in his own garden, i can take him a walk for ages and he doesnt do anything, every other male dog i know goes at every lamp post! Also when will he learn to lift his leg, he still sits like a female?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Coopersmum - I have noticed that dogs that have been neutered seem to miss out on the leg-lift wee-wee routine. It might have something to do with hormones?????

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all, it seems I am not the only one. But my question still remains.

Almost every dog follows the same ritual, why?

Pepe

·
Registered
260 Posts
Coopersmum said:
Cooper does this too, he must find the exact spot! Cooper has a strange habit, he only does the toilet in his own garden, i can take him a walk for ages and he doesnt do anything, every other male dog i know goes at every lamp post! Also when will he learn to lift his leg, he still sits like a female?
Rex, father of the puppies and Kia's "boyfriend", sometimes lifts his leg (when he goes around fences, trees, etc.) and sometimes he doesn't bother and pees like a girl. I think he used to pee more like a girl when he was smaller (he's 4 years old now) and is kind of switching back and forth now.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Male dogs have to be shown how to lift a leg to pee....even then they get lazy and do the girly squat.
Mojo has been known to circle the yard numerous times (I counted 18 times around one blistery snowy night) until he finds the most perfect sacred blade of grass or snowflake to defecate on. He even has the timing down for when to trot quickly and when to slow the step down. Doesn't matter how many times I say "hurry up" he follows his own agenda. Zoe, on the other hand will only pooh once a day and I usually have to play with her first until she can't hold it in anymore. Then all toys are dropped and she gets down to business. After she is finished she leaps into the air and does a victory dance around the yard. Breaks me up every time.

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
So, everyone's laughing at their dog's strange pooping rituals, hmmm... well let's take a look in the mirror, shall we?

I know people who cannot use any bathroom but their own and will even hold it to the point of creating a constipation problem, just because they don't want to 'go' in some 'strange' bathroom. And how many of you will prefer to hold 'it' just a little bit longer rather than use a 'strange' bathroom? Do you fold the toilet paper in a particular way each time? Do you always use the exact same hand to do the wiping? Do you wipe in a particular direction or alternate? Yes, if you allow your dog into the bathroom when you go, I sure s/he is laughing at your strange ritualistic behavior to...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Monomer - you crack me up. I couldn't stop laughing because you're right. I bet our animals are wondering what in the world we're doing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts