Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've had our adopted golden Sammy now for almost 2 months. It's been a great time and Sammy is definitely happy with his new digs. He's been sleeping in his crate as he likes it there and feels safe. Anyway, for the last week or so instead of going to his crate, he makes sad faces and wants help up onto the bed. He always uses his puppy face and gets what he wants -- so we've let him sleep with us at the bottom.

3 days ago, during the day I was at Wal-Mart and bought a big box of the 'large dog' milk bones for Sammy to try. We've been exercising and exploring out in the woods tons since we got him, but he's still probably about 100 pounds - so the milk bones where supposed to be a once in a blue moon treat.

Anyway, that night, he was being a suck and following us around, so we let him sleep at the bottom of the bed. During the night, he woke up, went to the kitchen and knocked over the box of milk bones on top of the fridge onto the floor and then ate the entire box that was almost totally full.

That morning we woke up to poop ALL over the living room, he must have had a hard time -- there was more poop then I’ve ever seen, more than I thought one dog could produce.. In hindsight, I should have taken a picture, no, nevermind that's too gross. We found Sammy in the laundry room in his crate with horrible gas and a sulking look on his face.

Anyway, after an emergency vet trip because Sammy is our first dog and even when he wiggles his nose funny we get worried -- He was looked over by the vet, who laughed at his antics and said Sammy would be fine.

On the way home we stopped by the grocery store and rented a steam cleaner for the livingroom. Turns out, Sammy was fine with the vacuum, but HATES the steam cleaner.. We haven't bought any more milk bones, and we will likely avoid them in the future -- Sammy probably will too!

Having a dog is such a learning experience, he is so spoiled! but, he just brings us so much happiness and laughs. We should have done this WAY sooner!

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Lesson learned. :) We used to buy a large box of Kirkland dog biscuits at Costco every few weeks for Max. He really liked them, but we learned that they were a source of too many extra calories. We stopped buying them. Now Max gets one Blue Buffalo Salmon Biscuit a day.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I think that Sammy got very lucky when you adopted him. Sounds like you're doing a great job with him already. I'm glad that you're keeping your sense of humor during this learning experience of having your first dog. It definitely helps, doesn't it? I guess it also helps that Goldens are so darn cute. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that Sammy got very lucky when you adopted him. Sounds like you're doing a great job with him already. I'm glad that you're keeping your sense of humor during this learning experience of having your first dog. It definitely helps, doesn't it? I guess it also helps that Goldens are so darn cute. :D
Exactly, humor sure helps.. if it wasn't laughter it'd be tears! We rapidly found out when he first came home that we hadn't Sammy-proofed as well as we thought. But, he sure did like to point out where we could have done better! He's much better now, I think once he realized we would pay attention to him and not lock him outside he just mellowed out -- he's even good with the cats now. In just 2 months he's a totally different dog. Still afraid of the dark though -- but we'll work through that too!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Oh no! Poor Sammy! I can't imagine that was pleasant for him... (or you, cleaning it up).

It's a horrible thing, but it's good that he's okay, and it's good that you can laugh it off.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
After I found out Sammy was ok, this story made me laugh - sorry;).

My Chumlee also loves biscuits, especially Old Mother Hubbard bones. The box is stored in the closet with his food bin. One day DH set the box on the floor of the closet and left the door ajar. Chum quietly and furtively made at least 6 trips to the closet before we realized what was going on. He now inspects the closet door often to see if his prayers have been answered again.:)

They definitely keep us on our toes.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
LOL!! Oh that is hilarious! Sorry about all of your troubles--and Sammy's too--but so glad you are keeping it light. :) Think of all the fun you were missing out on. glad he has you!!

·
Chesters Mama Erika
1,996 Posts
wow! that is hilarious! only because nothing serious was wrong with sammy other than a gassy boy =). Chester likes Milkbones too but we leave them in a bin that he can't get into. Good thing you learned from this mistake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts