Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

We are looking ahead to our 2nd chapter with Goldens. (We lost one amazing girl a few years ago and we still have one wonderful pup who is 15.) Both of these girls came from Dichis (in WI). The reasons were several reason we went with them the first two times. They do this full time. They list on their website the parents' hip status, so they made it easy to find "very good" and "excellent" hip lineages. Also, they seem to have some good genes with dogs living 13-15 years.

Our hesitation in returning to them is:

1) while their dogs are warm and fuzzy and great with people, our experience with them has been far more "transactional" in nature. Yes, they will answer questions, but I got the sense that they weren't happy about my emails and questions. No puppy reunions and to the best of my knowledge no FB page to meet our puppy parents' of theirs. Their formal style also means that given the distance we live from their kennel that they are not super accommodating about dates/time for picking up the puppy.

2) They also have had us a pick up a puppy before 8 weeks. That's not usually recommended by most skilled behavioralists and isn't ideal for us.

We would like golden Goldens (no white/cream colored, but also not the redder ones either) and ones that come from a good line of hips since that is so important to quality of life. Our past breeder seems to have fewer OFA excellents now (although I realize that anything from Excellent to Fair is considered within normal limits).

What we are looking for:
-Golden colored (not cream/red)
-Strong family line of healthy hips
-Breeders who are good with dogs and people

We really miss our happy-go-lucky girl who could find a way to make the world around her smile. She loved to snuggle and help people to enjoy life.

Currently we are near NW Ohio, NE Indiana, and lower MI, but we are willing to drive to make that next connection (Canada, PA, Illinois, etc.)

Harborview is another kennel we are looking at, but we'd love recommendations from others. It's harder the 2nd time (or 3rd time) around when you have more expectations. There is some advantage in being naive to the process. :)

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
If you are willing to go to Ohio or or near by, I would contact the puppy referral person in the link below.
Also, I wouldn't hesitate a second to get a Harborview puppy. :)
I don't know Ms. Craig myself, but I do know she is highly regarded and has beautiful dogs. One of ours has some Harborview in its line.

https://cvgrc.org/puppy-referral/

Good luck with your search.

·
Jennifer
133 Posts
You might try Kokopelli Goldens in Richland, MI. The owner, Monica McGee, is not only a super nice person, but also a breeder who follows the GRCA Code of Ethics. I don't think you could go wrong with her.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As someone who will be purchasing another golden retriever myself, I just wanted to throw in a recommendation for Harborview. Jennifer was very helpful and provided me with valuable information and had no problem answering all my emails. She has been breeding dogs over 20 years and has been doing clearances on the dogs for that whole time, so clearances have been around for quite some time.

The colors of her dogs on her website are true to their color. They have one dog, Chip, that would be considered a darker, more red golden but the rest of the dogs are medium to light gold.

Good luck!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Micin Retrievers and My Buddy Goldens are high quality breeders in Michigan.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts