Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its seems that my 3 year old golden girl Riley likes the midnight hour! lol
Her final walk of the evening is usually between 9:00-9:30 p.m. However, when midnight hits, or later, she barks to go outside! Sometimes it was to chase off the posums and racoons who like to visit (saw them on our outdoor camera). We have tried to ignore the barking, but it just doesn't stop! So out she goes! She sometimes just stands on our deck and then turns around and comes back in, other times she runs in the yard! The late night outdoor romps sometimes happen more than twice a night, sometimes at 2:00-3:00 a.m.
We are at a loss as to what to do! Any suggestions or opinions as to why my girl likes the midnight shift would be appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh how interesting! Sounds like she is getting to do ‘fun’ things she enjoys during her midnight/early morning shenanigans so that is reinforcing her wanting to do it more. So can you make it less interesting. So when she barks take her outside but on the leash and only allow her to have a little mosey around in the immediate area near the back door?
With the hope that as she experiences her midnight garden visits being boring she will want to do then less?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Make something not fun happen when she barks. Back into a crate or shut up in the bathroom. Are curtains closed so she can't see anything in the yard?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Moving her out of your room and in her crate is a start. If this does not work, Is it possible she has a slight issue with her bladder? Female dogs are notorious at getting bladder infections...might check in with your vet to be sure... I would get her a bark collar...a dog at that age should be quite at night.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh how interesting! Sounds like she is getting to do ‘fun’ things she enjoys during her midnight/early morning shenanigans so that is reinforcing her wanting to do it more. So can you make it less interesting. So when she barks take her outside but on the leash and only allow her to have a little mosey around in the immediate area near the back door?
With the hope that as she experiences her midnight garden visits being boring she will want to do then less?
Thanks for your reply! Although I am up and so is my husband, not sure about walking her around the yard on her leash. I would not have thought of that! Lets hope with the coming cooler weather she won't want to make those midnight strolls! Thanks so much for your input!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make something not fun happen when she barks. Back into a crate or shut up in the bathroom. Are curtains closed so she can't see anything in the yard?
Thanks for your reply! My Riley does not use a crate. I would never shut her in the bathroom, she doesn't like to be confined, she would just bark more! Sometimes the curtains are closed, but I'll make sure they are closed every night from this point on! Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moving her out of your room and in her crate is a start. If this does not work, Is it possible she has a slight issue with her bladder? Female dogs are notorious at getting bladder infections...might check in with your vet to be sure... I would get her a bark collar...a dog at that age should be quite at night.
Thanks for your reply! Riley has not been in a crate since puppy hood. Maybe a bladder infection, definitely a good thought, never heard of a bark collar, will check that out. I too agree that a 3 years of age, she should be quite at night, especially because she is very active during the day, long walks and play at the dog bark with her buddies! Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts