Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I live in the DC area and I am looking for a breeder who might have some Golden pups. My family recently lost our Golden Girl (who we found at a large municipal shelter) and would love to have a new pup in the spring, but could welcome a new dog sooner if there were one available.

I have stalked and spammed every GRCA recommended breeder from New Jersey to North Carolina. Any other breeders you would recommend?

I am most interested in working with someone who takes good care of their breeding females and I would prefer some pretty good health screening, but I do not need Champion pedigree or "gold standard" health documentation for both grandparents - though I understand why GRCA recommends that level of care.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Kristy
10,133 Posts
.... I do not need Champion pedigree or "gold standard" health documentation for both grandparents - though I understand why GRCA recommends that level of care...
Welcome Dan! I understand that you're frustrated with the lack of availability with GRCA breeders. It's not easy to find carefully bred puppies even during a normal year but 2020 is off the charts. You're not alone being exasperated with all the dead ends. I know that you say you understand why GRCA recommends clearances but please understand that if you give your money to a breeder who isn't using these clearances, you will be supporting someone who is ok with a greatly increased risk of producing puppies who have perfectly avoidable health problems that are painful and sometimes life threatening. If you care about the kind of life their breeding dogs have you also care about needlessly producing puppies with painful conditions that may have no treatment or that might be repaired for an incredible sum of money if the family can afford it. I personally don't want to give my money to people who are farming dogs to make money, I don't think you really do either. These clearances aren't expensive and there is simply no excuse for breeding Goldens without them.

The fact that you care enough to really do your research really makes me want to encourage you not to settle for a breeder who isn't doing their best to do things to the highest standard. You don't need "champion" parents to have a good Golden but if breeders don't have a standard, eventually you end up with dogs who don't really look or act like a classic Golden Retriever is supposed to. And that's not ok. If you care enough to search here and go the extra mile, I'm not going to steer you toward a breeder I wouldn't ever consider buying a puppy from personally. Not everyone feels that way, but I do.

You might try to expand your search area and consider flying for a puppy. It's not hard, I've done it twice. I would also go back and try again with the breeders you haven't heard from, try to find them on facebook and also look for the regional Golden Retriever clubs on facebook to see if you might be able to get someone in a group that might have a lead. It's a long shot but sometimes you can find an individual who doesn't breed often because she just has one or two dogs so might not be on the radar of the regular puppy referral person. Have you tried the regional GRCA puppy referral? Where to Find a Golden - Golden Retriever Club of America or just gone with individual Golden Retriever Clubs? Have you used the search feature at the top of the page here to look state by state? That can help sometimes too.

Sending you a private message.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts