Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

MicroChips

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Alohaimee 
#1 ·
After reading the post on the dangers of collars I was wondering what information is associated with the MicroChips....

My understanding is the chip just has a unique number that is retrieved from a scan, then they look up that number and get the information about the dog.

I was just wondering what all information is available...Can you go in ther and post vaccination information. City Tag numbers rabies tag numbers...expirations etc?

If not, I wonder why not. The technology is there and it would be great to be able to go collarless without much concern.

#2 ·
I know there is some health concerns with chips. Causing tumors and stuff. As far as the information they carry it can be difficult to read them and with most thing the manufactures don't build compatiable tecnology so the ability to reterieve the information depends on having a compatible reader. So if your vet/shelter has type A reader and your dog has type B chip they won't be able to reterieve the information and may possiably not even know its chiped.

#4 ·
I have Miles chipped. I really think its a good idea. My vet tells me that anytime they have a new dog come in for the first time they take them to the back, away from the owner, and scan their whole body to see if there is a chip and if the dog's been reported missing. He also says most vets do this now.

I haven't heard anything about them causing tumors though. That's something new.

#5 ·
All my dogs are chipped, including the 11 year old (he was chipped at 10 weeks of age). Chips can be miracles... I can't imagine NOT chipping! The person entering the info when you get your dog chipped will put whatever you want. Mine has me, an emergency contact, and all our info and notes about the dog- age, breed, etc.

#6 ·
My Bama is chipped. It has all my information, my vets information and when you contact Home Again it shows his picture in case he goes missing the flier will print all the information and sent to vets. I have a Home Again chip and get fliers for all animals in my area that are missing. Highly recommend it.
http://public.homeagain.com/faq.html

#9 ·
CHIP CHIP CHIP

Without a doubt. This can realistically be the only way you might get you furkid back should they lose their collars and you. All of mine have been chipped for a long time - and I even have them scanned once a year to make sure the chip still shows up. Contact info is the only thing stored for emergency contact.

#10 ·
Home Again chip registry is now charging an annual fee...so don't do that one. It used to be the #1 chip registry, I believe.

Go and register the chip # with the AKC Companion Animal Registry (CAR). You can change the info if you move, change phone numbers, etc. Most show breeders are registering with the AKC because of the Home Again annual fee.

http://www.akccar.org/

#11 ·
Okay here are the facts about microchips.
They can not be programmed with specific information.
They contain a set of digits and letters that when scanned with a scanner can be read.
You need to register this number/letter combo with a registry (Manufacturer, AKC CAR)
Most chips (Avid, Home Again, AKC) are able to be read by "Universal" Scanners
Home Again does NOT charge a yearly fee to have their chip registered. It is a one time fee. What Home Again does offer is a group of other services that require a yearly fee.
Some folks do have an issue with placing something foreign like a microchip in their pets for fear of what it might do to them.

They work great provided you do register them with a registry database, otherwise it would make it near impossible to track down the owner. The other thing to remember is if you move or change phone numbers you need to notify the registry of the change or again it would be difficult to locate you. I believe that you would need to pay a fee to have the info updated.

Hope this helps.

#12 ·
All the county animal shelters in San Diego county offer a microchipping clinic once a week. It's $20 for an Avid microchop, which includes registration with the Avid database. Everyone who is looking to chip their pets, I recommend checking with your animal shelters, it's much cheaper than at the vets, especially since you don't have to pay the vet office visit fee, and you can be sure that the chip the shelters implant are the ones they have the scanners for too! :)

#13 ·
When I worked PT at an animal shelter throughout highschool and college, we used the AVID microchip. At least then, the scanner only could read AVID brand microchips. From what I understand, companies are making universal scanners. (Finally!) Our cat has a "24PetWatch" chip. If scanner, her 10 digit number appears on the scanner. If entered online, they will find our contact information, photo of her, vet name, medical information. I don't think there is a reason to not get a chip. Worth it!

#14 ·
Home Again does NOT charge a yearly fee to have their chip registered.
There was just a HUGE discussion about this on a couple of lists. Apparently it's a new policy this year. They didn't used to charge a yearly fee, but members are saying they do now.

If you've got your dog registered with Home Again, you might want to double check the fees again.

#15 ·
There was just a HUGE discussion about this on a couple of lists. Apparently it's a new policy this year. They didn't used to charge a yearly fee, but members are saying they do now.

If you've got your dog registered with Home Again, you might want to double check the fees again.
No it has not been changed. It is the way Home Again words it that makes people think they need to pay a yearly fee. The yearly fee allows you the picture posting in their databank, the access to their pet insurance and their 24/7 emergency medical hotline along with some other "perks". Really not worth it in my opinion. I actually switched over the cihips we use in my club's health clinic to the AKC chip because so many peole felt they had to pay the yearly fee. I feel it is rather misleading and intentional on Home Again's part. And when you pay for the Home Again chip you still have to pay to register it. You can always register it with the AKC and cut your tie with Home Again.

#16 ·
Maximus and Baby (my cat) both have 2 chips and Leo has one (just got it last week!) Max has 2 because when I moved from Va beach to Hawaii the Vet told me certain places use a certain frequency to scan the chips (or something like that) So he has home-again ($14.99 a year) and Avid (free) and Leo has Home-again as well. I can go online and update info as I please, and I do have all the vet info, vaccines, age, breed, and pictures of the pet which I keep updated. =) Hope this helped! I love my chips!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.