Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be me being crazy, but we have two dogs under 2 who are not yet microchipped because they are not neutered. I wanted to contact the vet to get this done (just remembered), but is there any reason not to microchip?

·
5,142 Posts
I don't know of any reason not to do it. Maybe members with more experience with micro chipping will comment.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I chip all my puppies and if a puppy person does not want a chip they need to find another breeder. Probably 10 times over the years (I've been chipping pups for at least 15 years) a dog has been returned to owner due to chip. They might migrate if chipped too early (like before 8 weeks) but yours are plenty old enough... and IF you are able to give a shot yourself, you might look on reunite.com and just buy two there- it'd be tons cheaper. Your vet may even insert for you.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,141 Posts
I can't think of any reason not to microchip, I have always chipped my guys.
It will help them to be returned to you if they ever get lost as well as it's a way of providing proof of ownership.

At my current boy's annual visit, I have his chip checked to see if it has migrated.

It's also really important to make sure you register your dog with the Chip co., and your contact information is current. Be sure to update it whenever any of your info changes. You'd be surprised how many dogs that get lost are chipped but when the chip is scanned, the owner's info is not registered or the contact info is outdated.

·
5,142 Posts
My vet offers specials during the year to get dogs micro chipped. They are the best!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I post this, only as a point of information, since the OP asked about possible risks.
With that said, I chip all of my dogs and have never had an issue. They are scanned at their yearly exams..none have migrated (usually done at 4 months old)

from: https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2009/11/14/how-safe-are-pet-microchips.aspx

"The Major Risk of Microchips
The major concern any time you implant a foreign body into your pet, whether that’s a microchip, a metal plate for a fracture or any other material, there’s the potential for your pet’s body to reject the substance.
There have been two documented cases in veterinary medicine where sarcoma or fibrosarcoma, two types of soft tissue tumors, occurred at the site of the injection.
While two cases are not very many, I believe there are likely many more cases that have not been documented. Research shows that between 1996 and 2006, up to 10 percent of laboratory animals had some type of reaction to being microchipped, ranging from a localized inflammatory response to tumor formation at the site of the injection.
Needless to say, it’s important to realize that implanting any foreign material into your pet’s body is a risk.
So if you believe that your pet is safe in your home, such as an indoor housecat or a dog that’s appropriately trained (which in my opinion would eliminate the need for chips!) or pets that are always kept on a leash outdoors -- and most importantly, is a dog that knows his name and comes when he’s called -- there’s a very good chance that you do not need a microchip. And in these cases the risks do outweigh the benefit.
However, if your dog doesn’t know to “come” or you let her outdoors off-leash and just hope she comes back, these are high-risk situations. Ideally, you should rearrange your lifestyle to keep a closer reign on your dog or get some obedience training.
If this isn’t a possibility, then microchipping your pet may be an option. But do remember that microchips carry the risk of an autoimmune reaction or a degenerative reaction where your pet’s immune system becomes aggravated or chronically inflamed, which can in turn lead to tissue degeneration and abnormal cell growth, or cancer at the site of implantation."

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
I would never not chip my dog. My biggest fear is losing her or having her stolen. Her ID tag on her collar also says she is chipped.

Plus, if you are going to have clearances done on your dog, they need to have a way to confirm your dog is who you say it is - and that is done either by checking their chip or their tattoo - and fewer and fewer breeders and vets are tattooing, now that you can chip.

·
Kate
21,295 Posts
Just one thing - it's cheaper getting your dog chipped at dog shows than it is going through your vet.

Maybe other people's vets are different, but my vet charges $50+ for the chip and registration.

Going to dog shows and doing it there - it costs $30 even for everything.

My Glee is not yet chipped - but we are getting that done in a couple weeks at a big dog show cluster here in MI.

Because my guys get their eyes checked every year - their chips get checked every year as well. <= But your regular vet can do so as well every spring checkup.

There's no reason not to chip your dog. There's a lot of nonsense that gets shared online and suspect it's people that wear reynolds wrap on their heads while watching the news every evening. :D

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I figure 2 sarcomas at injection site are probably attributing the microchip to preventative attributes- there are probably 2 sarcomas in every cm2 body wide every 6 months in the US. And with 10m pets a year lost or stolen, that's not even a worry for me and mine. I do not wear foil in the evenings nor have any pyramids over my bed.

Reactions: Megora

·
Kate
21,295 Posts
I figure 2 sarcomas at injection site are probably attributing the microchip to preventative attributes- there are probably 2 sarcomas in every cm2 body wide every 6 months in the US. And with 10m pets a year lost or stolen, that's not even a worry for me and mine. I do not wear foil in the evenings nor have any pyramids over my bed.
I thought I read somewhere it's more likely with cats than dogs. But the percentage is very low compared to dogs and cats getting lost.

I've heard people talking until they are blue in the face about microchips causing cancer, microchips getting lost, microchips causing severe reactions, and so on... and I think it's people looking for excuses for not doing it with their dogs and cats.

Cats especially need to be chipped!!!!

·
Puddles
3,942 Posts
This may be me being crazy, but we have two dogs under 2 who are not yet microchipped because they are not neutered. I wanted to contact the vet to get this done (just remembered), but is there any reason not to microchip?
OK, I have to ask.... how does not being neutered factor into your not having them microchipped?

·
Registered
316 Posts
OK, I have to ask.... how does not being neutered factor into your not having them microchipped?
I don't know about the OP but my vet charges a discounted microchipping fee if we have it done when spaying/neutering.

I would never not microchip as I usually don't have Luna's or Phoenix's collars on when we are at home & should they get loose, they're microchipped if found (and can be returned). My town also a by-law for pet licenses. They also also offer a discount if spayed/neutered as well as microchipped.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I’m glad I read about having the chip checked to see if it’s moved. I’m registered with petlink as that was my vets recommendation. Does it matter if that’s the only place I registered or do I need to register other places? I can’t remember the price right now, but I know I had to pay a fee.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I use Reunite. I looked to see what the singles run, they are $15.95 and registering the chip is $17.50 or 19.95 depending on how you do it.

·
Premium Member
18,155 Posts
Nearly every microchip company has partnered with AAHA so that their chip information can be found through the AAHA search tool, so you only need to register with one company and your chip information comes up on the search tool: Microchip Search | AAHA Universal Pet Microchip Lookup

Check with the Humane Society, SPCA, or even your city animal shelter to see if they offer microchipping. Usually it's much less expensive at one of those places, but your personal vet can certainly microchip your dogs for you as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I looked up his chip # with the AAHA link and it showed up! Thanks for the info! I’ll still make sure the vet can scan it at his 1 yr check up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts