Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our puppy has a loose lump under his skin on the outside of one shoulder blade.

Is this likely to be the microchip? Is the lump possibly a negative bodily reaction to there being a microchip? Or, it is worse than a microchip..

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
Perfect world, the chip is inserted nicking the muscle that bands between and below the shoulder blades. At least that was perfect world about 20 years ago.. I just looked up insertion instructions to read aloud to a friend- always better than me trying to describe what I aim for- and discovered that now, microchip placement is in the subcutaneous tissue along the dorsal midline (the spine) between the dog's shoulder blades. To my mind, that lack of a nick and truly subQ placement allows for more migration which is problematic if it decides to skootle down to the hock... who looks there!
But yes- you can feel it if you know where it is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting.

Working with the assumption that the lump is a badly placed microchip (it is resting on one of his shoulder blades). Could that hard foreign object be causing discomfort to the dog when someone rubs him in that area?

I do wonder now if his sudden change in character from docile teddybear to mauling land shark is connected to being patted/rubbed/squeezed in that area.. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
Nah.. he's by now got a capsule around it, I can't imagine it'd cause discomfort though I wouldn't focus on it w play and pet...
He's just the appropriate age to be bitey. Get used to it!

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Microchips do sometimes migrate. If the bump feels hard and like a grain of rice, there's a good chance it's moved. Next time you are at the vet have them scan him to confirm. If it stays on his shoulder blade it's probably no big deal (though it increases the chances of it being missed if he's ever found and scanned). If it continues down near the joint it may need to be removed.

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
YEah . Acorn sized? That's a whole other thing- see the vet.

Reactions: DavidG

·
Super Moderator
1,209 Posts
Mine didn't get a bump from the microchip but got a large acorn size bump from her rabies shot. Did your pup recently get a shot there?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know because COVID19 restrictions require me to wait outside. We don't give rabies shots to domestic UK pets, but maybe some other vaccine would have entered there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts