Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Penny is on Metronomic Chemotherapy, she hasn't been on it for many months, so we do not know how much it is doing yet, but she has been very healthy with no major issues from it yet. Wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience with this?

Reactions: Karen519

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
No experience just wish you all the best, for your sweet Penny to have successful treatment.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm glad she's doing well on it and I hope she continues to do well. We were about to start it with our Barkley, but we had to release him from his body only six days before he was to start it.

I'll be interested to read of Penny's experiences with it. It sounds like a very promising treatment.

FYI, the clinic owner of the veterinary clinic we use had a dog with a cutaneous hemangiosarcoma that went through the full blown chemo and then was doing the metronomic therapy and I believe she was doing well after 2 years. If I can remember I will ask how she is doing next time I see the vet.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Penny

Praying that your Penny does well. What kind of cancer does she have.
I will pray for her and you.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Penny has fibrous fibrosarcoma. She got it two years ago, had surgery, and now it is back. Surgery was not an option this time around, but radiation and chemo were. Along with a lot of holistic treatments as well.

So sad to read that your Barkley passed. : (. What kind of cancer did he have? I will try and keep you all posted with her experiences with this treatment, I am hoping that it fulfills all of those promises.

I would love to hear how that dog is doing who is on the treatment. I was under the impression this was newly out? It was not around when Penny had the tumor two years ago. Where was the clinic you went too? Maybe it did not make it's way up north yet when the clinic had it.
Thank you for all of your kind thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Penny went down to NEVOG today for her check up. Everything looked great. Lymph nodes, blood work, and the vets felt the outside of her face, and nothing felt abnormal. So continuing the chemo and will go in for another check up in February. Good news!

Reactions: Mac'sdad

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I am happy to read good news. God bless your sweet girl.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Penny has fibrous fibrosarcoma. She got it two years ago, had surgery, and now it is back. Surgery was not an option this time around, but radiation and chemo were. Along with a lot of holistic treatments as well.

So sad to read that your Barkley passed. : (. What kind of cancer did he have? I will try and keep you all posted with her experiences with this treatment, I am hoping that it fulfills all of those promises.

I would love to hear how that dog is doing who is on the treatment. I was under the impression this was newly out? It was not around when Penny had the tumor two years ago. Where was the clinic you went too? Maybe it did not make it's way up north yet when the clinic had it.
Thank you for all of your kind thoughts and prayers.
Barkley had hemangiosarcoma. The medication for the metronomic protocol was to be shipped from New York and compounded in a human compounding pharmacy for his weight/dosage. Sadly we missed it by a week. It is a relatively new therapy, at least at the clinic we go to, but they already had another dog on it long term (with hemangio, caught very early and by accident) that was doing very well with it.

I"m so glad Penny is tolerating it well and doing so well!! Continued good thoughts for your girl!!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am very sad to read about Barkley. : (. That must of been so hard for you, knowing that the other dog was doing well on the treatment, and Barkley could not get it soon enough. Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope that Penny has good results with this treatment.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Penny went in for a check up last Friday, and everything looked well. So she is all set for another 2 months. Her left eye has radiation damage so they want us to go get that check out. We are very happy that she is able to enjoy life every day without a tumor causing her discomfort.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Happy for Penny and you. I am praying for many, many happy days to come.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Wonderful news. I hope her eye can be treated and doesn't give her any pain. She'll be in my prayers that she continues to do well.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Definitely good news that she is doing so well. Will continue to keep you both in our thoughts and prayers for much more time!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
What wonderful news for you and your girl. Hopefully, the eye issue can be treated and contained. Wishing you many more memorable days, weeks and months with Penny!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone! I do not wish any cancer on my dog, but I am thankful the cancer she has is slow and has given me so much more time with her. A reminder we need to enjoy every day to its fullest with our loved ones.

Anyone know of a good ophthalmologist in Maine? Was given the name of someone in Boston, but hoping not to travel far, since Penny has horrible car riding anxiety issues.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Thank you everyone! I do not wish any cancer on my dog, but I am thankful the cancer she has is slow and has given me so much more time with her. A reminder we need to enjoy every day to its fullest with our loved ones.

Anyone know of a good ophthalmologist in Maine? Was given the name of someone in Boston, but hoping not to travel far, since Penny has horrible car riding anxiety issues.

Sally's Mom is a vet in Maine. You can message her and I'm sure she would be willing to give you some recs.

Reactions: Lucky Penny

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha, Sally's mom is the one who gave me the name of the person in Boston. May just have to end up making a drive down there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Charlie is going to be starting this as soon as I can find somewhere to fill one of the prescriptions (Cyclophosphamine). This drug needs to be compounded because of the dosage so I'm having a little bit of a hard time finding someplace to fill it (keeping my fingers crossed that I found someplace today). The other drug he'll be on is Piroxicam.

I'll be hoping that your Penny continues to do well and that Charlie does too.

Dallas Gold - I'm so sorry to hear about Barkely!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope you find somewhere to get the drugs. I get Penny's down at NEVOG in Mass. Please keep us updated on Charlie's progress with the drugs. What kind of cancer does he have, and what kinds of treatments has he had? My thoughts go out to you and Charlie.

Penny has an appointment on Monday with Dr. Cassotis at Port City Veterinary Referral Hospital in New Hampshire to get her eye checked out. I will be driving her down!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts