Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
We have plastic for water, only because it's the kind that keeps refilling as they drink. Enzo uses a ceramic bowl for food right now that my fiance's parents used to use for their dogs. Once he's bigger and uses a bigger bowl, we will be getting him the stainless steel, raised type so that he's not bending so far to eat. I hear this is good for preventing bloat/stomach twisting...has anyone else heard this?

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ranger has huge stainless steel bowls that my dad bought for him. I needed big bowls since I'm constantly filling up the water bowl and I couldn't find ceramic bowls big enough until this week. I bought my brother some nice red ceramic bowls for his dog and i wish I could find them in purple and I'd buy some for Ranger!

I also heard about plastic bowls turning the nose pink. My old golden had an old yellow plastic bowl for years and his nose was always pink. Since then we've had nothing but stainless steel and every other dog's nose has stayed black.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bumping an old thread.

I've been looking for a set of stainless steel feeding & water bowls but most if not all seem to have reviews of rusting issues, some within only a few weeks.

I found a company called basispet that uses 18/8 stainless. Their quality and testing are really a nice plus but they don't look stable and remind me of my cake pans which are 18/10 and are light weight. I would prefer a bowl with a wider bottom to it or at least some weight to it.

Can someone recommend a set of stainless bowls that don't rust? Our GSD had a set that we used for 8yrs and they had no rusting issues. They were purchased back in 1999 when quality was better than the "disposable" products seem to be now a days.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
Most of mine are pro-select brand. I don't like non-skid bottoms but my reason is that I have to stack them w food in them and then I feel like there are crumbs on the bottoms. I rinse after each meal and dishwash about weekly, and some of them are easily 15 years old. No rust.
Buckets though- they do seem to get rust spots where the weld is for the handle.

·
Puddles
3,330 Posts
I'm a tight wad :) I got metal bowls from dollar general (they come in two sizes), wash daily and used to run through the dishwasher daily when I had the kennels. They are only a dollar and after 15 yrs, still no rust.
My current water bowl was a gift and a very heavy crock, comes in handy when you have a dog that wants to play in the bowl.. too heavy to tip over or move.
Back when I had the kennels I used buckets too but they were actually plastic paint pails. Again, Dollar Tree and only had one pup over 12 yrs eat the edges but cheap enough to toss and replace. They were also dishwasher safe and lasted for years. Right now they are full of all sorts of stuff on the shelves in the garage.
I prefer the metal vs plastic bowls, easier to keep clean and the pups can't chew on them. Not sure the dogs care either way :)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
We have one of the XL size Basis Pet bowls. It was pricey, but after 2 years there is no rust. The bottom is flat on this model, but maybe some of the smaller ones are more rounded. Our 2 dogs have not even moved this bowl, and our lab is a pretty enthusiastic drinker. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
We looked at the pro-select brand but they're getting some bad reviews. Not sure if they're quality has gone down a little these days or what, so we went with Basis. We got 2 of their large size bowls.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My GSD get a funky lip when eating/drinking out of plastic bowls. The left side of her lip dries up, scabs and peels off. I'm told this is an allergic reaction, so we use stainless steel. BTW, she gets the funky lip from her chuck it ball too.

My Golden has a pink nose. He also eats/drinks from stainless steel bowls.

Go figure!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know when i too my dog to the vet for the same thing they told me it was acne because the oils from the food absorb into the bowls and when the dog eats out of it the grease is getting on their lip area causing an acne problem that can quickly turn into infection so they recommend that I use metal bowls... hope this helps!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts