Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Captain JONAthan Toews
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that plastic water/food bowls are bad because they make the dogs eyes watery? sounds kind of weird but that is what I read somewhere online, I also heard that plastic bowls hold more bacteria?

is there really a difference between metal, plastic, or ceramic bowls or are people just saying nonesense?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think that as long as you run them through the dishwasher on a regular basis, and keep them clean, it probably won't make a bit of difference whether you use metal, plastic or ceramic. Generally, plastic can harbor bacteria in the little slits created by utensils, stirring, etc. If your dog loves to tote them around and chew on them, then plastic might not be the way to go.

Or, if you want to approach it from another angle, don't feed them in anything you wouldn't want to eat out of.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
We use both plastic and metal....we wash them regularly in the dishwasher. We haven't had any issues from either.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Some feel that plastic bowls can trigger an allergic reaction that can discolor your golden's nose--creating that "dudley nose" which is a pinkish nose in goldens--which is a fault.

If you were to run a poll, I'd venture to guess that the overwhelming choice would be stainless steel (metal). Easy to disinfect and clean.

Ceramic is pretty--but if you get neurotic over the paint--is it lead-free? Any paint chips in the water/food? then you might want to avoid ceramic unless you know the source/feel it's absolutely safe.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We only use stainless steel bowls. I have also heard that plastic bowls can cause loss of pigment in the nose. I'm not sure how true that is, but we have never used plastic and our 3 dogs all have nice black noses.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I have a ceramic dish for the cat. The puppy has two stainless steel bowls. I've also read that plastic bowls can give 'snow nose' or making the nose less black and more pink. I personally like the stainless b/c you can run them through the dishwasher easily on top/bottom rack.

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
I use the stainless steel. I would rather use ceramic for water but every ceramic bowl I look at is made outside the US, usually in China, and I refuse to use those.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
How in the world can a plastic bowl change the color of your dogs nose?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
How in the world can a plastic bowl change the color of your dogs nose?
A lot of dogs have allergic-type reactions to the plastic material, which can cause the nose to fade a bit.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Hmmmm...is there a type of bowl that will turn them black? I'm sorry I just couldn't resist...

I use ceramic and haven't had any problems so far.

Pete

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Gus's bowls are ceramic and Charlie's and Ace's are metal. And Gus, who does NOT use a plastic bowl, DOES have a pink nose! His nose darkened back up last summer, got pink again this winter, and I am sure it will darken again this summer (though it won't get back to coal black).

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Some feel that plastic bowls can trigger an allergic reaction that can discolor your golden's nose--creating that "dudley nose" which is a pinkish nose in goldens--which is a fault.

If you were to run a poll, I'd venture to guess that the overwhelming choice would be stainless steel (metal). Easy to disinfect and clean.

Maggie's nose is pinkening, and she has only had stainless steel bowls since the day we brought her home (and she's from an Amish Puppymill, so I don't think they used plastic bowls, either, though I didn't see her bowls.)

·
where the tails wag
13,359 Posts
I use ceramic bowls in the house (food and water - they are washed each use; same bowls mentioned above by Cathyjobray) and use Stainless Steel outside for their water while in the dog yard.

The SS water buckets are washed a few times a week and can better withstand being banged around by goldens flying around :) Still shiny after all these years.

My Rowdy would not eat out of plastic bowls - period. Even if it was steak he would not touch anything that came in plastic or perhaps more interestedly, that had been in plastic. He was the dog who taught me so much about allergies.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts