Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mikey will be 5 in May, and weighs in at 150lbs. Calm down, he's considerably taller and relatively wider than the average golden. An entire head taller than my female. He's like the Shaq of goldens. But, yes, he needs to lose some weight. His diet consists of Purina Basic 9 (recently switched from Pro Plan sensitive skin - 3 cups instead of the 5+ stated on the bag) 2 glucosamine chews, 1/2 a pill pocket, a tsp of glandex for his foul smelling butt, and 1-2 teeny training treats. Bigger treats are typically carrots and whatever vegetable that he wont turn his nose up at. Vegetables are not a daily thing. He walks 1/2 mile most days. He's not very agile with his back legs, never really has been. He will NOT jump....even into the car. and when we try to push his 1/2 mile to a mile he'll kind of stumble. Not bad, usually just once....but still. So we try to keep him active, but in smaller spurts. He stayed solid at 130 lbs for a couple years, then made the jump to 150 within 6 months. I initially attributed to bullymake treats, (only 2 months) and immediately stopped it. A year later he's still at 150. I'll mention that he's also been on steroids for skin problems severl times in his life, including around the time of the weight gain. His thyroids were tested in 2016ish. The vet now wants to switch him to Hills, metabolic food. If we do make the switch, is Hills our only option? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is a food change what we should be doing at this point instead of some sort of blood panel? Thoughts?????? If the food works, $180 per month to feed him alone will be one hell of a tough pill to swallow. I've got two more big puppers, naturally with their own issues.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,902 Posts
What did your Vet say about his weight?

150 lbs regardless of his measurements is a lot of weight to be carrying. When a dog is that heavy, it's hard on their joints, organs and overall health. You said he won't jump, only walks half a mile a day which is understandable at 150 lbs.

He's a young dog........

Most dogs eat no more than a cup of food a day per feeding so 2 cups of food per day total. You should also take into consideration the calories from any treats. Fresh fruits and vegetables can be given as treats, but I would limit the number of treats given each day regardless if they are fruits/veggies or dog treats.

There's a diet called the Green Bean Diet- people use it when they have an overweight dog.
You reduce the amount of dog food by 1/4 or 1/2 a cup of food, supplement the other 1/4-1/2 cup with either fresh, frozen or canned green beans-make sure they are Salt Free. For example, you would give 1/2 cup of food, 1/2 cup of Green beans. Green beans act like a filler and will help your dog feel full.

The idea is to increase his activity level-exercise and decrease the amount of calories he's taking in. If you have a place you can take him swimming-an indoor facility, that would be the best form of exercise for him without putting any stress on his joints. When he starts losing weight, you can increase the amount of exercise such as walking, walk more often and increase the distance.

The main thing I am seeing from your post is you are over feeding your guy which is effecting his ability to walk, jump up, overall quality of life.

Vet Clinics in my area either use Prescription Hill's Science Diet or Royal Canin formulas.

You may want to have his thyroid checked again since the last time it was done was 2016.

Good luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with a recheck of the thyroid. If the vet ran a basic T-4 panel it could easily have missed an issue. I would ask the vet to pull and prep the blood and mail it to HemoPet for the full Thyroid panel (I think it's either their "Thyroid Profile 4" or their "Thyroid Profile 5", but you may want to call or email and ask for their recommendation). Here's a link to the order form and instructions: https://hemopet.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-TRF.pdf. They also have an option to tag on a "CBC and Differentials and Chemistry" which might be worth it to get a more complete picture of his health.

If it's not his Thyroid, at least you'll be sure then and can investigate other options. I agree that you may still be feeding him too much (my hypothyroid girl, who was a normal size and weight on medication, got to the point where she was only getting about 1/2 cup per meal, plus biscuits). If you can't bear to feed him so little, you can use one of the online comparison tools (like www.dogfoodanalysis.com) to compare the kcals per cup of different food options. You may be able to feed more of a less calorie dense food, without resorting to something prescription/expensive.

·
Puddles
3,403 Posts
I agree you are over feeding. Purina makes a prescription diet food that will keep them really full but very low calorie, sort of like rice cakes :) not all vets sell it but it's available at petsmart with a script. If I remember correctly it's called Purina OM. See if you can find a facility that offers water therapy. Swimming is a very good way to burn off calories and not put pressure on the joints. I had a rescue that needed to loose 60 lbs and it took about 6 or 7 months of the diet food and additional exercise to slowly get the weight off. If they start acting hungry it's more about you being strong than the dog. This just means you need to give him something to do, over eating is sometimes just about being bored. Who doesn't want to snack when they are bored? This takes time but as the weight begins to come off the dog will want to do more. Not sure longer walks is as effective as a game of fetch or a walk in the woods if possible.
This of course is subject to a vet visit and thyroid check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts