Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 year old rescued Tonkinese who did fine eating Purina Indoor Cat chow for years. I wanted to try some other foods-Iams, etc and
then vomitting started. I switched to some of the sensitive stomach foods, tried hairball food and remedy and vomitting continued. I switched him to a chicken and rice homemade diet and the vomitting stopped. I took him to the vet who thought he had been eating his dry food too fast and suggested limiting the amount as I phased him back from chicken and rice back to the Purina Indoor, as that was the only food he had eaten without problems before he started to throw up.
Then diarrhea started (vomitting stopped). The vet wondered if it was pancreatitis and put him on Pancrevad. No change. Then the vet thought IBD and gave him a shot. No change.
I began thinking that the time I saw a change was when I switched to the chicken and rice diet. I researched, realizing that just chicken and rice alone wasn't sufficient for him to live on, and decided I either had to go to a raw diet or try what I read was the best cat food around, EVO (which is supposed to mimic an "ancestral" cat diet.
I knew I couldn't manage the raw diet so tried EVO. Yay!!! no more problems. And, interestingly, he is satisfied with a very small amount of food.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yay for Mercury! Do you have any pix? And I love his name. What inspired it?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my daughter named him after Freddie Mercury. I am using a diff computer today so can't post his photo. He is gorgeous. She found him at a shelter. Can't imagine why he was abandoned as he is very affectionate, smart and easy to live with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I LOVE queen!!! Tell your daughter that it's a good choice for a name! lol

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
So glad the kitty is doing better. It is so hard when any of our critters are sick. I'd love to see a picture - Tonkinese are beautiful!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That is wonderful news.

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
This is really good info, I'm having similar problems with my cat. I may try Evo and see if it helps her.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I feed my 3 cats EVO. They love it, have healthy, shiny coats and are happy kitties.

Just hope the golden I'll be getting in january fits in well with the rest of the animal family.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts