Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title - what do you do with your pup for mental stimulation.

We do a few training sessions a day and he has learnt a lot of commands that we regularly practise (sit, down, stay, wait, come, leave it, stop, finish left and right, to front, touch, heel, paw, backup, on your bed, seek).

We play fetch (or at least try, this is work in progress). We go for a couple of walks a day.

What else do you do?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Scent work! Our snuffle mat is our best friend. We have several different puzzle toys. We also practice his commands, but in his case, they're trot next to me, stand still and let me move your feet (aka attempting to stack lol), and making our walks exciting by going different places. I would say the most mental stuff are the puzzle toys though, he loves those. Including frozen kongs, frozen stuffed trachea, etc

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Learning to sit quietly when you open the front door or greet people. Up the training by going to different locations and practice. Laying quietly while you shop a few feet away, staying beside you as you check out, picking up stuff you drop, helping to bring in the groceries, sitting quietly when you put in and out of the car. LOL getting into a canoe, laying down nicely in a raft, reliable recall on the trails. If you think about it every day offers something new to learn. Then you get to reinforce the learning at a new location. It's more than just giving commands.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Tricks! There is a book called 101 Dog Tricks by Kyra Sundance. I've taught Winx a ton of tricks using this book. She can play guitar, ride a skateboard, turn on a light, deliver a drink, and other things I'm not thinking of right now. We are working on limping, figure 8's around my legs, and riding in a wagon.

Tricks are a fund bonding activity and you can get AKC titles for them. Both of my goldens have trick titles. Winx is working on her TKE...which is the highest level. Your friends will be impressed too!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fletch loves “find it” where I hide a bunch of treats either all over the house or in the yard. Also we like to play hide and seek. Both get him very excited—we are all about fun over here. :) tricks are good too, spin, roll over, different versions of shake paws.

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Get a muffin pan. Put a small treat in each muffin holder and cover with a ball or small stuffed toy. Kibble works well if you are using it. Watch him toss the objects out of the way to get at the treats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts