Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year!
We have reached 7 months. Sigh... It goes so fast. I have read that it is good to give mental stimulation to our puppy and I am wondering what type of activities you do with your GRs?

My sister in law mentioned to me that senility can come from a lack of working a dog according to their temperment.
IE, herding dogs must herd. Hunting dogs must hunt and if they don't have that part of their brain stimulated then senility sets in. True???

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
I would also like to hear of some mental stimulation activities to do with our puppies....especially with the weather being so crappy lately.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
When hubby takes the dogs out, I go and hide a whole bunch of treats all over the house. When they come in they search and find them. I'm sure it's fun for them and it's hilarious to watch!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
We play hide-n-seek a lot. It's fun for all. I put Bogey in a sit-stay and then go hide somewhere in the house and say "BOGEY! COME FIND ME!" He loves it! Then I give him a treat.

We also really like having the dogs work for their food with a Kong or a treat ball. There are also puzzles you can order from FetchDog.com and other sites. I haven't tried them yet but plan to. Basically the dogs have to work to find treats by doing puzzles.

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
Great games for us that stimulate my guy's mind is training with a clicker. There are so many different tricks you can teach!

It's so much fun and so very satisfying to see the cogs turning in his mind as he tries to figure out what I want from him without me speaking a single word! I think the time I spend with him - even if it's just a few minutes a day - training with a clicketr sharpens his mind and builds our relationship stronger and stronger. It's good rainy day exercise!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Dogs do not become senile from being denied activities that they were bred to perform, although every dog needs exercise and mental stimulation, whether that's reading the pee mail daily or figuring out tasks you're asking of them.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Training and meals out of a stuffed KONG toy. My two fave mental stimulation tasks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks FF.

What makes eating out of a kong good stimulation? We do that regularly and I'm glad to know it's a positive.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
My guys love the Leo vase. You put treats in it and they have to get them out by thinking. They have to tip it or bounce it or toss it. My guys love it.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/item/23_ Canine Genius Leo

Mine also love when I hide a toy and they have to find it. We also play regular people-dog hide-and-seek as well.

I also do what I call multi level finds. Hide a toy under a bowl - bowl under a blanket - blanket under something else. They like the challenge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts