Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have occasionally seen threads about megaesophagus on GRF, but I’ve never seen dog food discussed as a trigger. I’ve never felt comfortable raising the possibility of dog food as a trigger in threads about dogs with established disease under veterinary management.

However, it may help people to know that outbreaks in Australia have been linked with quality control problems in dog food.

An outbreak in 2017 and 2018 which affected more than 100 dogs, including 9 dogs at a police dog kennels, was attributed to a dog food commonly sold by veterinarians. The manufacturers could not identify a contaminant in the dog food, but offered to pay for veterinary treatment.

In 2020, a different manufacturer issued a recall notice after a batch its dog food was linked to megaesophagus. The dog food was found to contain high levels of a mycotoxin, Fumonisin, which is a common contaminant of cereals, especially maize.

ABC article on Advance Dermacare and megaesophagus

Choice article on Veganpet dogfood and megaesophagus

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Study confirms rise in megaesophagus cases in dogs was linked to pet food

This is interesting. I have a Golden with Megaesophagus and Laryngeal Paralysis. I had never seen these studies. I will have to do a lot more reading, but wanted to share the link. I tried the ones you attached but they didn’t work. (May just be my browser)
I think I’ve fixed the first two links. The third link seems to be working and is just a World Health Organisation information sheet on Fumonisin, for background.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thank you for sharing the information. I have taken some time and can say that this is not the cause of my guys issues. It’s nice that they researched it and I feel for the families. Caring for a dog with ME is a full time job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts