Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. My son (10) and I are going to meet a 2 y.o. golden boy tomorrow afternoon and I'm wondering what I should look for to make sure he'll be a good match for our family. The current owner said that the dog is "great" but he (owner) doesn't have the time to spend with him so he's looking for a home where "Cody" can have room enough to exercise and not have to be in his crate as much. While I've had dogs throughout my life, this will be my first experience with a Golden. I've tried to read all the pros and cons so hopefully am not going into this with blinders on, but any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks! Debbie***

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. I can't tell you anything specific to look for but I trust you will know very soon if the golden will be a good fit. Spend as much time as you can getting to know the pup before you make your decision.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Wecome to the forum,
The things I would do is to ask for the name and phone number of the vet to find out if there are any health issues. They may have to call the vet to approve it. And get the records from him. Also I would check him over really well but I have a feeling you will be bringing him home. It is good they are looking out for him to let him go since they cant spend enough time with him.
Good luck and I hope it works out for you when you meet him. And when you get home post some pictures with us so we can meet your newest family member.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips! I was going to ask if there were any records available (I know he hasn't been neutered) but didn't even think about contacting the vet directly.

Selfishly, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the person who is going over to see him tomorrow morning won't adopt him before we get a chance to meet him :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't believe it but the owner never returned my calls or e-mails today to even let me know that Cody was (or wasn't) adopted by someone else. My son is devastated even though I had told him it wasn't definite that we'd adopt Cody. If anyone hears about a 1-3 year old golden male, good with kids and cats, near Albany, NY that's in need of a good home please let me know. (The upstate NY rescue says kids must be at least 12 so I haven't applied to them).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Paula. Not giving up on Cody but a 3 y.o. GR was just listed at a shelter near us so... just maybe... fingers crossed he'd be a good fit w/our family and he'll still be there after school so we could meet him...

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Wishing you lots of luck in your search for a dog! Hoping things work out for Cody too - whether it's with you or another family.

Don't give up, it may take a few weeks but your dog is out there waiting for you somewhere!

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I think it is so wonderful that you are looking to adopt an adult golden in need. There seem to be so many of them popping up in shelters these days, no doubt due to the tough economic times :( Have faith that your perfect golden buddy is out there - you just need to find each other!! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your encouragement. The one at the shelter wasn't a good fit for our family (because we have a cat) but he was so sweet - I'm sure he'll be adopted very quickly. So... back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Doggone. I hope you find a good fit soon.

The 4 goldens I have had in the last 9 years have all been rescues and/or shelter boys. Some of them needed work but I have the space and time for that and they all became my best friends.

You could tell the shelter(s) to let you know if one comes in that might be a good fit and get them to call you. I understand dogs are much harder to find up there than down here. There also might be one on Craig's list although you have to be really careful since not everyone on there is honest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi. Been a month and we're still looking. I sent an e-mail to the adoption coordinator at the upstate NY rescue asking for an exception to the 12 y.o. child age so keeping my fingers crossed that I pled our case well and they'll let us submit an application.

Unlike other rescues, they don't post info on the dogs that they have in foster homes so I don't know how large of a backlog they have with applications vs. dogs.

Thanks to those of you who have offered good wishes in our quest :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome welcome welcome. I am kind of new myself...I am sorry you are having a bit of trouble. I wish you luck in your golden search, it will be well worth it. I am still crossing fingers and toes for you and Cody.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi from Altamont

Sorry things haven't worked out yet. Hvae you tried the local GRClub? Breeders do look to rehome dogs after their breeding days are over. Good luck. Alex

Northeastern New York Golden Retriever Club
Kathleen McLaughlin-Wager
15 Highland Ct., Albany, NY 12203
(518) 869-0593

Pronto& Disco

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and Alex - thanks so much for the tip about the GRClub. I'll get in touch with them!

I'm checking the local shelter sites everyday, checking CraigsList (most of the nearby cities) and have a search running on Oodle.com. I'm happy for the dogs that there aren't many looking for homes but finding one who does is a full time job :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts