Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I was on here last! Hope you're all doing well!

Things are going great for Caleb. We've moved recently and now Caleb has a big backyard to run around and play in complete with squirrels and birds to chase. :bowl:

But we ran into a little problem today. We were out walking by a playground and a man with an infant and a 2-3 year old asked if they could pet Caleb. We told him yes but warned him that Caleb gets really excited meeting new people. So I put him into a sit/stay and that man crouched down with the baby in his arms and Caleb grabbed onto the baby's sweater. We of course made him let go and the baby was totally fine but the behavior really concerns me. Caleb was being playful and not at all aggressive but I think he just doesn't recognize infants as people. I think maybe he thought the baby was a toy. :( (BTW, he was fine with the older child. He's been around toddlers quite a bit just not infants.)

So I was thinking about getting a baby doll to carry around the house as a training tool. What do you think? And if you have any other suggestions, I would be very happy to read them!

Thanks!

·
Kate
21,186 Posts
Stays don't give me the same amount of control as a hand on the collar - this for babies and small children.

Kneel on the ground with a hand on the collar and one arm around your dog. And remind him to be gentle or nice.

This will train your dog to hold as still as possible and you can control how friendly gets with the baby or small child.

I would not use a doll, because it will smell like a toy to him and might give the wrong message.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Megora. I did have him on a very short leash in addition to the sit/stay but I think you're correct. Hand on the collar and an arm around him would have been better.

But I really do want him to become more reliable/respectful with infants because a lot of our friends and siblings are having babies right now. And my hubby and I would love to have a couple of our own eventually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts