Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Stitch,
He is our 8 week old Golden Retriever puppy, born the 2nd of June who came home with us Wednesday night. This is the first time owning a golden, but have always been a huge fan of the breed. Looking forward to our adventures together!

This picture was taken on our first night, before we had the opportunity to buy him a crate:

His day bed is now downstairs and we are attempting to crate train him for bedtimes! :)

Looking forward to learning more info through this forum :)

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
What a cutie!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hi Stitch, you look like me 4 months ago when my parents brought me home!! You're gorgeous, like me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys :D
Nice to meet all of you!

currently trying to encourage him to love his crate, lots of fuss and attention when he is in there. But as soon as we walk away he climbs out and sleeps on the floor:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
539 Posts
You need to do a bit of research on how to crate train your puppy.

Unless you are with them, preferably with the pup on a lead, they should be in their crate with door shut. They should not be left out of the crate to do as they please. The crate should only have enough space for the pup to stand up and lay down (no pads or blankets please, they make him hot and he may eat them), any more then that limited space, gives him a place to pee and poop!

Dogs generally will not mess where the laydown to sleep. By limiting the space you force the pup to let you know he wants out, at first all they will do is get up and start walking in circles....thus letting you know to take him outside. In time, he will figure out that he needs to go outside and not in the house....once that happens, he can have more freedom.

There is a lot more to crate training, so do more research! Dogs are denning animals, the tight space is what they like, so give him time and he will seek it out to rest...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Stitch is adorable and I love the name. Putting it on my rather long list for our next puppy. Don’t give up on the crate training. It’s fundamental to so many other obedience and behavior management issues. There are lots of posts on the forum with sound advice to help your puppy accept the crate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You need to do a bit of research on how to crate train your puppy.

Unless you are with them, preferably with the pup on a lead, they should be in their crate with door shut. They should not be left out of the crate to do as they please. The crate should only have enough space for the pup to stand up and lay down (no pads or blankets please, they make him hot and he may eat them), any more then that limited space, gives him a place to pee and poop!

Dogs generally will not mess where the laydown to sleep. By limiting the space you force the pup to let you know he wants out, at first all they will do is get up and start walking in circles....thus letting you know to take him outside. In time, he will figure out that he needs to go outside and not in the house....once that happens, he can have more freedom.

There is a lot more to crate training, so do more research! Dogs are denning animals, the tight space is what they like, so give him time and he will seek it out to rest...
Thanks for the tips! We close the crate door when it is time for him to sleep. We only leave it open so he can freely leave when it’s not night time as we wanted to get him to like the crate and not feel like it’s punishment or he’s trapped! But at night it gets closed!

is this still incorrect, should we always be closing it? We have tried a couple of times during the day to close it and sit next to him and tell him he’s good. But eventually he starts barking and won’t stop unless the door is opened. however last night he did 8 hours in the crate and was only let out to go the toilet and then straight back in. He started barking at 6am because he was bored and wanted to get up for the day!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stitch is adorable and I love the name. Putting it on my rather long list for our next puppy. Don’t give up on the crate training. It’s fundamental to so many other obedience and behavior management issues. There are lots of posts on the forum with sound advice to help your puppy accept the crate.
Haha thank you! He certainly lives up to his name as he is cheeky but adorable like Stitch from the movies:LOL:

my previous post I explained what we’re doing so far regarding the crate as he is our first puppy together so we’re hoping we’re going in the right direction. My previous dogs belonged to my parents, the current dog is 10 so a long time since she was a pup and I don’t remember much:(

Thanks for the tips! We close the crate door when it is time for him to sleep. We only leave it open so he can freely leave when it’s not night time as we wanted to get him to like the crate and not feel like it’s punishment or he’s trapped! But at night it gets closed!

is this still incorrect, should we always be closing it? We have tried a couple of times during the day to close it and sit next to him and tell him he’s good. But eventually he starts barking and won’t stop unless the door is opened. however last night he did 8 hours in the crate and was only let out to go the toilet and then straight back in. He started barking at 6am because he was bored and wanted to get up for the day!

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,173 Posts
If your pup woke up early, most likely he needed to go out to potty.

You can feed your pup in the crate, give treats in it.

If you do an Internet search for Crate Games, several videos will come up that are on Youtube.
There are a lot of good ones available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts