Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're the proud new guardians of a golden little ball of pure cuteness we call Rio. A little bit about him.....we believe he's about 4/5 weeks old. I dont know very much about where he came from or why/how he was seperated from his Momma so young but I do know that he would more than likely die if I left him where he was and we couldnt walk away without him. As of right now, he's doing pretty good given the less than ideal situation of his age. He's eating well, drinking, sleeping, and playing. Rio is the 4th golden retriever we've owned in our lifetime....and the youngest. The 'youngest' we have ever got one of our goldens was almost 4 months old...so to see this stage is very strange/new to us. Hope to get to know you all and I will most certainly update all of you with Pictures as we progress along. Here's a picture of our little Rio....

Attachments

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
Welcome to you and Rio!! He's so tiny........I also wonder how he was separated from his mommy at such a young age. Thank goodness you found him.

Look forward to seeing pictures of Rio as he grows!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
He is adorable. I realize that he is very young, but I am sure you are up to the task. Thank goodness you found him when you did.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Rio

Rio is SO PRECIOUS!

Has Rio seen the vet-I think a pup this age away from his Mom would need very special care. You are so wonderful to love him!!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
He's so darling. Thank you for taking him in and giving him a home. I would suggest getting him to a vet as soon as possible - at his age I think he may need a lot of nutritional supplementation and other early care.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rio is a little trooper...doing good still. He does cry the most pitiful cry/whine when he realizes that no one is in a 5 ft radius of him. He also naps better with a large stuffed animal...he curls up into it, sometimes on top of it which of course breaks my heart because I know thats what little guys do with their momma and siblings. We will take him to the vet Monday morning. Right now we feed him royal canin puppy food soaked in warm water. I'm thinking I should buy some puppy formula to supplement him but think it would be best to see what the vet thinks we should do. Anywho's here's a couple more pics of the little guy.

Attachments

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
So glad you found and are able to help this little guy out. He is gorgeous.
Please keep the pictures coming.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,587 Posts
Rio looks to be in pretty good shape.

Don't forget to stay on top of nail trimming. :) At this age puppies are growing very quickly, and nails need to be trimmed twice a week.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
very sweet and adorable puppy. I'm curious too about how you found him. He is really a nice looking baby.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
He's so sweet. I'm so glad he found a good home. There's a lot that puppies learn from their moms and littermates in the weeks from 4 to 8, so you might want to ask some of the trainers on here for tips on how to fill in. They learn bite inhibition and other useful things. But you can fill in the gaps.

Have fun...it'll be nice that you get to have the puppy fluff longer than most!

·
Registered
250 Posts
He's so cute. How did you find him? You guys sound like you know what you are doing so you will surely make great parents for Rio!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Believe it or not I found him at a street market in a box being sold by a man not very from a shop notorious for "meat dogs" (I live overseas at the moment). He was either the only one or last to be taken.....not sure. There was no Momma dog around either and I dont remember passing any golden retrievers while we were at the market. He was really dirty and still has some dirt in his ears that I couldnt clean out so I assume he was born in the dirt and raised there until I took him, he also has some 'reddish' patches of skin under his coat. We aren't 100% sure if he's a purebred or mixed because he has some white toes on one of his front paws and one white toe on his back paw...he looks pretty close to a purebred other than that but I'm not expert.I just hope we can raise a healthy pup, our biggest fear is parvo is rampant here and since I dont know much about his back ground I'm a little nervous....hopefully the vet will give him a clean bill of health tomorrow. Right now he shares our home with a cat....a very cranky old mean cat but he's safe here with us and we adore him and not only felt horribly sorry for him when we first saw him but we fell madly in love with him (we're golden lover's) so needless to say it was a very quick decision to take him home. I understand the responsibility at hand, and the challenges because of his age...my sister is a dog trainer so we are getting some helpful advice from her along the way.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Thank you for rescuing him, Rio is a doll. Yes, Vet is the next order and milk suppliment with his food might be good for at least another week or so, but he looks good. Watch that Parvo (as you know). If you get a clean bill of health, I would not walk him except in your yard untill all shots are completed. You will need to be extra careful since you got him so young.

He looks golden to me, but whatever he is, he is sure a cutie! Congratulations on your new boy. You were good people to rescue him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts