Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow Goldy owners, new member from Adelaide (South Australia) here :)

My wife and I have a 1 year old Goldy pup named Randall (see Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3, Picture 4, Picture 5).

He is a little bundle of energy and joy, is very loving, and we couldn't imagine life without him! He always has to be near us when we are home, he just loves attention.

He has his little quirks:

He can pull the most convincing puppy dog eyes ever, and sits his head on your lap when he wants attention;

He randomly has bursts of energy where he will sprint around the house doing laps until he is tired;

He has a little routine when we get home, and has to have a toy in his mouth to greet us with;

He often steals things from our room, and runs off expecting us to chase him. When he realises that we won’t chase him, he comes pottering back to make sure we saw him!

When we take him for walks, he has a little routine aswell. We will get out his leash, and he will sit next to us (clearly very excited) and wait for us to put the lead around his neck. Then we hand the leash to him in his mouth, and he prances of (yes prances, head held high and all) to the front door and sits there with the leash in his mouth waiting for us. When we get back from the walk, we can put the leash back in his mouth at the end of the driveway, and he walks to the door and sits there waiting for us to let him in;

He loves other dogs, any breed, and size, any sex. He could play with any other dog for hours;

He’s an absolute wimp with the weirdest things. Shovels and vacuum cleaners he goes nuts at (it is actually very cute to watch him jump around then crouch down with his bum in the air). Oh, and golf clubs. He once stood in the same spot for 10 minutes, and we couldn’t get him to come to us. Then I realised that I had left my golf clubs out. I put them away, and he came bounding up to us!

Of course he has his issues too…

We made the mistake of letting him on the couch when he was a tiny pup. Now, 40kgs later, he obviously thinks that he can still be on the couch. I am very strict on this now, never allowed on the couch, and when I see him about to jump up I tell him no. If he stops, I give him a treat. He is getting better, but it is taking some effort to get this sorted! It is mostly out fault for letting him on in the first place though.

He sometimes likes to chew playfully on our hands. Most of the time he stops after a little while, but sometimes he won’t let up. Giving him another toy usually sorts this (his favourite are tennis balls, or empty plastic bottles), but if he doesn’t stop, a bit of timeout usually sorts this. It is something we need to get under control a little better.

He is a bit of a puller on walks. I think he gets too excited! We have had some trouble with this, and followed many people’s advice. I think we just have to stick at our training.

The only real regret I have about getting a Goldy is…the hair. I did not expect so much of it! We have to vacuum every other day, and I’ve given up wearing black clothes. But it is a small price to pay for the joy we get from our boy :)
As you can see, we love our pup alot!

I would love to hear if anyone else has similar experiences with their Goldies.

And I look forward to contributing to the board :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a great puppy with typical golden behaviors. Please make yourself at home here on GRF.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Welcome. Your Randall is beautiful. I'm sure you'll work out his walking on leash soon - he's still young yet. He does look like he wants on the sofa. :)

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
Welcome to you and Randall!! Like Oakly's Dad said, sounds like a typical Golden.......We have 3 Goldens so I sympathize with the hair. I tell everyone that Golden hair is a regular part of my diet!!! Our Dyson gets a good workout!!

Randall is very handsome!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Welcome to the boards. Randall is a very handsome boy. Love your fourth pic. I can see how he ""works the room" with that adorable puppy face! LOL!!!!! Great place to learn and share about goldens.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Welcome from Michigan! Randall sounds wonderful and looks very handsome! Looking forward to more pictures and stories....

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to you and Randall.
You both will love it here!!
He is beautiful!!

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Randall is adorable - and it sounds like he has quite the personality to match!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts