Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Heres a little about ourselves, Im originally from London, UK and recently moved to Malaysia for work, and living with my girlfriend Sharon.

One day i was driving home from work and it was raining what we say "cats & dogs" and i could hardly see through the windscreen in the tropical storm, ive heard its quite normal here which is not exactly what im use to :|, anyway,

Once i got home this is where i found Rambo sitting outside our house gate and once i opened he ran straight inside and began drinking from a bucket left outside, Sharon's other dogs were growling barking at him and Yogi the Dalmation tired to attack him!!!.

He had a chain round his neck and had, what we guess to be car oil on his head and fur and smelt disgusting. He was squinting his eyes you could see that he was highly stressed and in shock. So I tried to feed him dry dog food, which he didnt eat.
Because he was so dirty I decided to give him a wash and took him to the rear of the house and sprayed him with the hose, beacuse Rambo was so tired he didnt move but just to lie one the floor while i scrubbed his back and head, because i never knew where or what he had been in ( could of been sewage) i decided to wear gloves,to make matters worst we didnt have any so i used PLASTIC BAGS :eek: instead ( oh i havnt mentioned that i have never had a dogs for a pet so yeh i was ******** myself in case he bit me !!! ) It was then that Sharon noticed he had a injury under his left ear about the size of an 1 inch hole swolen with fly larvae inside :O :(and the inner ear was infected and full of puss which explains his smell, this must of been a result of a fight with one of the wild dogs found all over Malaysia.

By now you could see Sharon was very upset (yes i came close to tears too) on how skinny and pitiful he was, so i decided to try feed him again with any thing i could find which included dog candy,rawhide treats and bread !! which he loves :p After he was full he just collapsed on the floor and fell asleep from the exhaustion and i tied him up to stop the other dogs biting him.

The next day we took him to the vets for a check up and was told that he had probably been missing for over 6 days and advised to keep Rambo over night so he could monitor and clean out the unborn flies in his ear which needed to be done under anasthetic. people who's dogs have been infected will understand the revolting smell and the amount of flies it attracts :(On that day Rambo weighed 23Kg the recommeded weight is 30

Since then Rambo has put on an extra 3kg's in 2 weeks probably 5 by now so yeh were spoiling him rotten :pWe have tried to find his previous owner, even walked round town asking but Unfortunatly Rambo is'nt micro chipped so its quite hard to find them, this is probably a good thing for Rambo seeing how they mis-treated him. But when we find them im not sure if Rambo is willing to leave as he has so many friends to play with him everyday (Shih Tzu puppy, Labrador Retreiver puppy and Chihua Mix ) Among the pack you can see he has taken on the responsibility of Big brother and is very protective of the puppies and even often gets bullied by them

We often debate if Rambo knew he would have a happly life here and decided to walk in because we owned so many Dogs or was it because of the free water available in the bucket

Either way Me and Rambo are already best friends. In the early days you would often hear him whinning for me when i would leave him for the night, and i would miss him lots when he leaves:(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seng,

thank you so much for sharing your story with all of us.
It's an incredible story of survival and I am so glad to be able to read your post.
I am surprised that his original owner didn't post any signs, made any calls, fliers or didn't go from door to door.
Some people are so irresponsible. Why didn't his owner take him to the Humane Society, rather than dumping him and leaving him on the street... People who dump animals make me so mad!

Walia

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Seng,
thanks for the story. The treatment of dogs sounds pretty bad over there. I'm glad there are still people like to you to help them out and give them much deserved LOVE !!!
Do you think it is overall a problem in most of Asia?
There's no wonder that people are then afraid of dogs since many are running wild and with diseases, right?

Are there any organisations in Malaysia trying to solve this problem?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.